First pregnant guppy!!

William Lynch

On 12/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

WRONG. My first guppy fry I sat with my night vision camera every night for an hour for 2 weeks. I hooted when I seen the first fry drop. Hubby came running thinking the tank was leaking. I get crazy as an expectant parent with each new type of fry. I still get all warm hearted every single time I see a tiny little wiggly guppy 🥰. Congratulations I’m very excited for you. Please do updates and post as they grow. Watching guppies grow mine yours or everyone’s never gets old to me. They are one of my favorite fish ❤️

Thank you so much! I have been so anxious for the last week and half not knowing when it would come! I so wish I was there to see it but now I’ll have more opportunities in the future. Thanks for the support and congratulations on the giveaway. You all are making the community better one comment at a time 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 7:14 PM, Minanora said:

Babies are always exciting! ALWAYS! So to me it's very exciting! 😛

Congratulations on your first batch of fry!

Mark your calendar. I do this with each batch of my guppy fry, for each mom. My shortest pregnancy was 23 days for one of my guppy females. Marking the calendar makes it so I know roughly when I should put them in a breeder net. I try to catch them at 22 days. Misty being at 23 days was a surprise. I expected to have a few more days before so she could settle in and get comfortable in the breeder net.

Looking forward to seeing those babies color up! ❤️ Congratulations again!

Thanks so much I’m looking forward to what the future holds! I’ll definitely start keeping a log it’s cool that these fish can have an “aquatic clock” of sorts. Thanks again for the positive energy I’ll be sure to keep you all updated as the little guys grow up 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, William Lynch said:

Thanks so much I’m looking forward to what the future holds! I’ll definitely start keeping a log it’s cool that these fish can have an “aquatic clock” of sorts. Thanks again for the positive energy I’ll be sure to keep you all updated as the little guys grow up 

you will be up to your eyeballs in guppy's before ya know it. guppy's have a way of making rabbits look like monks when it comes to breeding.

• Haha 2

On 12/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, lefty o said:

you will be up to your eyeballs in guppy's before ya know it. guppy's have a way of making rabbits look like monks when it comes to breeding.

Isn't this the truth! The struggle can be real. It takes about 3 months for babies to totally color up and be ready for sale. I try to get mine out the door at 10 weeks. In the meantime, more babies are born!

I separate my males and females now. Especially knowing that the females can consecutively give birth for up to 6 months after their contact with a male. Don't be me and have 3 strains and mutt guppies going at the same time, in the winter.... Mistakes were made... but I'm still happy and in love with all of the babies I have. I just wish I had more tanks to put them all in! Curse the winter months!

• Like 1

Here is the week 1 update! It feels like it’s been so much longer than just that. The fry are doing well and I can definitely see their growth. They are eating powdered up flake and Co-Op fry food. It’s been interesting seeing them get stronger and begin to explore more tank space. I’m going to keep up with what I am doing with the goal of just growing them up! Fun times ahead!

01200BA9-9ECD-40BE-AEF8-01E227C82B94.jpg.bbb7bad99ccb15eccd37452aa417d563.jpgC561B5F3-BE6B-4CE2-9D4D-4914C51676CF.jpg.7c2d80fadd546d10ba96980b335a9819.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

It's always a bit like Christmas morning when I look in my tank and see movement in spots where there are no fish--"What's that? Oh! A fry!" and then I start counting all the fry I can find--so exciting.

I have batches now that are 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months old. I have to look at the 2 and 3 monthers every day to see if anyone is growing a gonopodium so I can prevent 20x20x20x20 guppies a month from now. I sometimes wonder what my neighbors think I am staring at if they see me through the blinds, just staring into the tank so hard from 3 inches away!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, William Lynch said:

@PineSong this is literally what I do too. I try to count as many fry as I can before they all move and I lose count! I also probably looked ridiculous trying to spot all of the miniature baby cherry shrimp when I first had shrimplets 

we all do it. in planted tanks, it can take many attempts at counting to get a close number.

• Like 1

Week 2 update is here!!
Definitely seeing the growth in the fry week on week. I bought frozen baby brine  for the first time a few days ago and they go absolutely nuts for it. I hope to hatch it live soon. 

Kind of worried though because on Monday I head out of town for a week. I’m not so stressed about my other tanks because they have no fry but since I’m feeding and water changing so much I don’t want the sudden change to have a drastic effect on this tank. This week I started waiting a little longer before each water change so the tank can acclimatize to my absence. Ex. Every other day> every two days>every 3 days etc. hopefully this approach works. Anyway enjoy some more pics!

92F50367-5148-4009-B232-6F7BD82B50F3.jpg.a7dc1bd7a7ecead6f8e53b25377a7d94.jpgD5EE802D-564A-45A8-A7C8-179B857D32D0.jpg.ff4e2ffb2ef90cde4c4986bbed9d94b9.jpg

• Love 1