10 gallon ideas

mtnmonster

So after this 10 gallon crashed and none of the fish survived I determined there were several factors that lead to it. Sadly the betta was recovering and when everything was looking up I found him dead. It was the betta I was taking care of for my mother. Now I'm looking to replace it and actually set the tank up at her home. 

Now she wants a community tank with lots of color and she seems pretty set on a honey gourami. I know 10 gallons is probably fine for one but is there anything else that would do well as a community? She likes how I have my betta, neons, khuli and snail tank. She wants something different but similar. I have been trying to educate her how live plants have helped me keep my tank very active, peaceful, and so far healthy. So I let her pick a few plants and she wanted pogostemon stellatus octopus and anubias coffeefolia. She is also taking one of my crypts wendtii. So she's covered for that. I'm just trying to see what I can do for a 10 gallon honey gourami community tank. 

One or two honey gouramis can live quite happily in a ten gallon tank. I have a sweet lady honey in a 10 gallon quarantine right now, and happy as a clam.

Honey gouramis do not get to be very large. They are small, reserved, sweet little fish, and their favorite treats tend to have daphnia in them. If you'd like the honey gourami to be the star, I'd get a pretty gold male honey gourami and maybe some celestial pearl danios, emerald dwarf rasboras, or pygmy corydoras for company. Maybe even ember tetras for a schooler. They'd do really nicely in a 10 gallon! You can probably get away with neocaridina shrimp, though don't be surprised if the honey picks a few of the babies off. Amano shrimp and snails would be safer.

• Like 3

I’m really having fun with my Honey Gourami so far. I have a trio in a 75 gal community tank. I think they’ll get along with all the above mentioned Nano fish and I’ll also add Green Neon Tetras to the list. They’re similar to Neon Tetras but they’re smaller and blue line goes head to tail with almost no red. 

35DA55BB-D6AD-4241-92DB-5643EE45A82B.jpeg

• Love 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:10 PM, mtnmonster said:

I'm just trying to see what I can do for a 10 gallon honey gourami community tank. 

I just came across this.The first part is about potential tank mates and ones you shouldn't try. 

Edited by Gideyon

If the main goal is to maximize color, I think you would be hard pressed to find something better than a livebearer tank. They have such a wide variety and look great when they are happy and swimming around. A solid group of them would go great in a 10 gallon! Endlers might be something worth looking into; they usually grow to be on the smaller size compared to a platy. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:21 AM, mtnmonster said:

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to talk her into a bigger tank for more options. I never thought about platies. I've never had luck with guppies, but I've successfully kept swordtails and platies before so I could help her better with them. 

I would see what she thinks about a 20G High tank. They're about the same footprint of a 10G, just a tad bigger, and then her options for plants would open up a bit more, and give the fish more swimming room. Especially if you're going with swordtails.

I would get 4 or 5 smaller variety corydoras. Dwarfs are really cute and they add a lot of personality to the bottom of the tank. I would, however, keep stocking light, no matter the size, unless there's a ton of plants in the tank. Depending on how often she's willing to change water, and at what percentage she can comfortably change at a time. I try to keep my water changes on all of my tanks down to a max of 5 gallon changes at a time so I'm not carrying a ton of water around, or having to make a ton of trips. I don't have a fancy water change system. Just buckets from Smart and Final and 5G buckets from Home Cheapo.

My current favorite nano fish is ember tetras. They're sassy, not shy in the least, and very active. Once mine got used to my comings and goings, they aren't the least bit shy or skittish about activity outside their tank, which they share with RCS and Amano shrimp.