Cherry Shrimp Hiding Under Filter

kahjtheundedicated

Hello all, I have about 15 adult shrimp plus some juveniles and shrimplets, and nearly all of them hide under my sponge filter all the time. Should I shoo them away and bury the base in the substrate, or just let them do their thing?

Just a little worried that if one of them goes I won't see it to take it out, and my mystery snail also won't be able to take care of it...

Thanks in advance

ShrimpTankThumbnail.jpg.6c7105550df0419508044deb6a6503f6.jpg

ShrimpFilter.png.11300cf1647d9ed561751c4c069147cf.png

• Like 1

Are they new to the tank? Are there fish?  When I move mine to a new tank it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to venture from behind sponge filters. It makes them feel safe. You can leave them they should meander out. Lift the airline tube to check under if you need to. If it stresses you bury the base. Either way is fine. If they are not new and no fish start looking for what may have made them go into hiding. 

Also tons of yummy yucky stuff collects under my sponges 🤣 they may be at the all you can eat buffet 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I have 20 shrimp in my 11 gallon but I  never see them all at once, maybe 6-7 will be visible at a time. They find bits of rock or whatever to hide under. I’m not opposed to getting rid of their hiding places and I’ve tried, but in the end they always find another place to hide so I’ve given up. 

• Like 2

Since they'll aim for hiding spots, maybe put the best (or only) hiding spots at the front of the tank, where they're easy to see. Other ways they can "hide" and you still see them are to give them floating plants to hang on the underside of, decor that makes a shadow they can sit under, giving them a blob of loose java moss to crawl around in, and just plain making the tank dimmer. Mine are also willing to brave the light to sit on a piece of catappa leaf, so luring might be a good method, too.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I have a 6 gallon tank set up as a paludarium, so only 3 gallons of water. About 100 shrimp and I see not a single one until feeding time. It is crazy how well the can hide! 😎

I agree completely! They're truly gifted! LOL

• Like 1