Need some advice

Leo2o915

Two days ago I bought 6 Rummynose tetras from my local fish store first day lost 2 yesterday lost one and today lost another all the other fish seem to be fine rest are good I’m thinking my water is too hard for them or what else could it be ? 

What are your parameters? Anytime I buy a batch of rummynose or cardinal tetra, I lose some. My water is 7 dKH out of the tap, and I usually add minerals to keep a dGH of 6. It's just one of those things. I usually buy more of a schooling fish than I intended to keep, especially tetras and corydoras. 

8 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

What are your parameters? Anytime I buy a batch of rummynose or cardinal tetra, I lose some. My water is 7 dKH out of the tap, and I usually add minerals to keep a dGH of 6. It's just one of those things. I usually buy more of a schooling fish than I intended to keep, especially tetras and corydoras. 

That was probably my problem my water comes out around 7.6 to 7.8 liquid rock and this morning lost the other two they where in the QT tank I should of bought more but I’m just going to stick with rasboras or danios instead I’ve seen @Cory say in some of his videos you loose some 

I was about to post this exact same question. I've lost half of my rummynose that I bought from a good LFS a few months ago within a couple of days. Just lost 8 out of 11 from the local big box store within a day. I noticed as well that one of the online vendors states that rummynose are exempt from their extended guarantee - I'm wondering if they are just sensitive with shipping.transport. I have the opposite water as you - 6.4 pH and very soft out of the tap. I did drip acclimation with both sets. Quarantined one and added to community tank with the other, both into established tanks. 

Edited by NBrucker
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NBrucker said:

I was about to post this exact same question. I've lost half of my rummynose that I bought from a good LFS a few months ago within a couple of days. Just lost 8 out of 11 from the local big box store within a day. I noticed as well that one of the online vendors states that rummynose are exempt from their extended guarantee - I'm wondering if they are just sensitive with shipping.transport. I have the opposite water as you - 6.4 pH and very soft out of the tap. I did drip acclimation with both sets. Quarantined one and added to community tank with the other, both into established tanks. 

Yeah ended up losing all 6 😞 felt bad 

5 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

Didn’t @Cory talk about this in  a video not too long ago.  Bought 2 batches of 600 rummy nose tetras for the 800 gal.  First batch did well, and lost a bunch in the next.  

Yes, he bought a bunch and lost a bunch from one of the batches, but I didn't think he had any idea at the time of the video about why one batch did so poorly. 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, NBrucker said:

Yes, he bought a bunch and lost a bunch from one of the batches, but I didn't think he had any idea at the time of the video about why one batch did so poorly. 

I know why they didn't do well, they came in dead essentially. Temps, and other conditions during shipping can change why two shipments back to back can have different results. I'm not sure if that made it in the public video, or members only video. Definitely did record it though. 

7 minutes ago, Cory said:

I know why they didn't do well, they came in dead essentially. Temps, and other conditions during shipping can change why two shipments back to back can have different results. I'm not sure if that made it in the public video, or members only video. Definitely did record it though. 

Thanks so much for the reply, @Cory especially right after finishing a two-hour live stream 🙂  - It seems like maybe they are just more sensitive to transport/shipping parameters? I see this question a lot in forums as I'm searching without a reason on the fish keeper's side. Both times I've bought them shortly after the LFS received them, so maybe it was too much stress too soon 😞 

Edited by NBrucker

My experience with buying schooling tetras has been similar. It’s a gamble with them. Sometimes they survive and sometimes they don’t. I bought 10 cardinals and lost 5 within the first couple of days. The other 5 are doing great.  Went back and bought 10 more and haven’t lost any. I didn’t do anything to the water between the time I bought the first and second group, so same water. 

1 minute ago, ccurtis said:

My experience with buying schooling tetras has been similar. It’s a gamble with them. Sometimes they survive and sometimes they don’t. I bought 10 cardinals and lost 5 within the first couple of days. The other 5 are doing great.  Went back and bought 10 more and haven’t lost any. I didn’t do anything to the water between the time I bought the first and second group, so same water. 

It’s just luck of the draw I guess 

On 10/5/2020 at 5:08 PM, Cory said:

So you think it’s just or matter of luck with them ? Ended up loosing all within 3 days ? Maybe I should of tried drip acclimating them instead of just temp matching them 

1 hour ago, Leo2o915 said:

So you think it’s just or matter of luck with them ? Ended up loosing all within 3 days ? Maybe I should of tried drip acclimating them instead of just temp matching them 

I do think it’s just luck. Honestly I think it’s just the state they are in from the fish farm to fish store, and the care they are getting at the fish store which is likely very little. Sometimes they just maybe sick or or to stressed and they aren’t going to recover.