Air Compressor + Tank for Aeration

Phirefase

I was thinking about how to do large fish rooms and was thinking using a large air compressor with a tank (Like this) to aerate the tanks would work. I can't find anything in a 5 min google search, and all the fishroom/farm tours that I have watched either use the water from the water change system to aerate the aquariums through drip towers or venturis except a discus farm using sponge filters in addition to venturis. I think that having one central air supply with regulators and running airline would be easier to manage than having a bunch of air pumps, but I'm not sure if there is some factor with air compressors + air tank that causes them not to be used.

Thanks

As a professional air compressor service tech, I would advise against going that route. The main reason would be the very low pressure you would attempt to run your equipment at . You would have to regulate after the tank to almost nothing(probably multiple regulators In line). Most Piston air compressors are 100-125 psi units, secondly you’ll be collecting water In the tank)and that rusty air tank water would go to the lines and point of use (sponge filters) Now the tank Could  be enamel lined on the inside And that’s expensive. So you’ll have to drain out the tank with some type of timed drain. Lastly Depending on the air compressor type (Idk what kind your looking at) the air could have a small percent of oil in it.  Now could you use food grade oil yes but it’s expensive . I’m not saying it couldn’t be done but as I said I’m a professional in industrial air compressor repair and system design and I saved my self all the head ache and got one of these To run my fish room. Hope this helps . insteadhttps://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/linear-piston-air-pump?_pos=1&_sid=15669a4cc&_ss=r

Thanks for the insightful response! Pardon me if these are some dumb questions. I've seen oxy-acetylene tanks use regulators that take the gas at several hundred or thousand psi to low psi(10ish). I wouldn't think stepping that down again would be excessive for a regulator, but I'm not sure. For the water in the air tank, I knew this would be a maintenance issue, but from my experience with consumer tanks I have only emptied water in the tanks once in the three years at my old job. For the rusty water, I would think that only the water would evaporate into the air, not anything in the water. I'm not sure if that theory applies to the real world. And finally companies make oil-less compressors and seem to be the most common type at hardware stores.

I should note this isn't something I plan on doing anytime soon. I was just daydreaming about how I would do a fish room. I only have a 20g tank and currently in college.

• Like 1

It seems to me that air compressor isn't intended to normally move larger volumes of air. Where as a linear air pump is designed to move more volume at a low psi. I also pondered this a few times, but started thinking the constant cycling of the compressor and the power draw made it inappropriate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

It seems to me that air compressor isn't intended to normally move larger volumes of air. Where as a linear air pump is designed to move more volume at a low psi. I also pondered this a few times, but started thinking the constant cycling of the compressor and the power draw made it inappropriate.

My thinking was to put air into an air tank and have the air tank hooked up to the fish tanks, making the compressor only run to fill up the air tank. On the power use point, experimentation or math would be needed to determine if the constantly running air pumps or the intermittently running air compressor.

A good guide is that @Cory and @Dean’s Fishroom and other's who have years of experience have found the least expensive, most reliable solution is linear piston air pump designed for just for this purpose.

An air compressor might work great and maybe it is only something like noise which limits their use, but if the air compressor guy @FrostiesFishes wouldn't use one, that would be good enough for me.

What have you got in your 20 gallon tank?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

A good guide is that @Cory and @Dean’s Fishroom and other's who have years of experience have found the least expensive, most reliable solution is linear piston air pump designed for just for this purpose.

An air compressor might work great and maybe it is only something like noise which limits their use, but if the air compressor guy @FrostiesFishes wouldn't use one, that would be good enough for me.

What have you got in your 20 gallon tank?

Hello, you are correct that most hardware store air compressorS are oil free. I would assume It would use more electricity to run compared to a linear piston air pump. But yeah you could figure out the math, not to mention the inrush amp drawl to start the motor As often as it’ll probably cycle On and off. Now that all depends on tank size and air demand obviously. So they’ll be a lot of guess work trying to figure all that out. As far as draining the tank it is all a matter of how much the unit runS and the amount of water in the ambient air. Humid environments obviously cause more water to be compressed as a by product of the air compared to a dry winter. And lastly if there is water in the tank I promise you it will end up at your point of use. We install all kinds of in-line filters to remove water from compressed air lines. And depending how the system is designed you have all kinds of other costs. But could it be done yes. Honestly if you wanted to go against the grain maybe looking at a blower is a better option but those things are loud! 

• Like 2