Green Hair Algae

I’m a big fan of peroxide treatment for stubborn algae.  I would cut lights to 6 hours per day until the algae is better controlled.  Remove everything you can and treat the remainder with peroxide squirted directly onto the algae.  Try not to douse any livestock directly.

Turn off all pumps and wait for still water first.  Use 3 mls per gallon, and wait 10 minutes.  Then turn on pumps again.  Usually you will see some color difference in the algae within 24 hours or so.  If you don’t see a difference within 48 hours, repeat the treatment.  This can be repeated as many times as you need in order to clear the algae.

My next point, is that it’s likely responding to nutrients in the water.  Most tanks go through an awkward algae stage of some sort (think of it like being a gawky teenager).  It’s all about controlling the balance of light and nutrients that most of us struggle with, some repeatedly.  🙋🏻‍♀️👋🏻 Limiting food for a while - feed less or feed less often - can help limit algae.  Water changes more often can help, too.  Sometimes the tank just still has some maturing to do.

Can you tell us about your water parameters?  Have you checked the parameters on your tap water?

Your cleanup crew will help remove it better after a peroxide treatment.  Speaking of cleanup crew, what is yours?  Just the pleco?  Maybe add a couple horned/thorned nerites?  They spend more time cleaning my plants than most other nerites I have and they are little work horses when it comes to algae.  They also have zero risk of overpopulating your tank since their offspring must go through brackish and marine stages to mature.  They may bedazzle your tank with hard to remove white eggs, though, if you happen to get a female(s).

• Like 2

I second Odd Duck with the H2O2 treatment. 

As you get more plant growth, you will see less algae (notice I don't say no algae 😬).

I have grown WAY LESS algae now that I have experimented (and fallen in love) with Dr Diana Walstad's recommendation to have lights on for 4 hours (they seem to deplete the water column of carbon dioxide in about 4 hours), then a 3 to 4 hour siesta, then lights on again for another 4 hours. 

At this point, I primarily get new algae growth when I first add new fish / in the first 3 weeks after selling fish, until I learn the new balance of food to fish.

I simply cut back on feeding, give scuds and snails a chance to catch up, and more slowly increase the feeding amount. 

If plants show hunger signs, I increase feeding the plants via the water column. 

It's like a growth spurt in teens: they turn into bottomless pits, then sleep a day or two, and wake up 2" taller. 

When fish increase, we may treat them as the bottomless pit, resulting in algae. 

Then we cut back on the food, "paint" the algae (in still tank) with H2O2, cut back on lights (increased sleep stage), and then when we split the photo period and let the plants "nap" more, they wake up 2" taller and the algae can't compete as well anymore. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m a big fan of peroxide treatment for stubborn algae.  I would cut lights to 6 hours per day until the algae is better controlled.  Remove everything you can and treat the remainder with peroxide squirted directly onto the algae.  Try not to douse any livestock directly.

Turn off all pumps and wait for still water first.  Use 3 mls per gallon, and wait 10 minutes.  Then turn on pumps again.  Usually you will see some color difference in the algae within 24 hours or so.  If you don’t see a difference within 48 hours, repeat the treatment.  This can be repeated as many times as you need in order to clear the algae.

My next point, is that it’s likely responding to nutrients in the water.  Most tanks go through an awkward algae stage of some sort (think of it like being a gawky teenager).  It’s all about controlling the balance of light and nutrients that most of us struggle with, some repeatedly.  🙋🏻‍♀️👋🏻 Limiting food for a while - feed less or feed less often - can help limit algae.  Water changes more often can help, too.  Sometimes the tank just still has some maturing to do.

Can you tell us about your water parameters?  Have you checked the parameters on your tap water?

Your cleanup crew will help remove it better after a peroxide treatment.  Speaking of cleanup crew, what is yours?  Just the pleco?  Maybe add a couple horned/thorned nerites?  They spend more time cleaning my plants than most other nerites I have and they are little work horses when it comes to algae.  They also have zero risk of overpopulating your tank since their offspring must go through brackish and marine stages to mature.  They may bedazzle your tank with hard to remove white eggs, though, if you happen to get a female(s).

Thank you for your help! So I have a Rubberlip pleco and salt and pepper corycats! I’ve considered nerites but hate the thought of eggs all over the glass. It might be worth the gamble though. My water parameters are pretty steady at 7.8 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and between 5.0ppm - 10ppm Nitrates. I’m newer to the planted tank side of the hobby so I keep feeling like I’m flopping with all this algae!

On 11/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, FreshwaterFacet said:

I keep feeling like I’m flopping with all this algae!

We all feel like we’re flopping at some time or another.  It’s my normal state of being!  😆  I still sometimes struggle with algae since I’m a chronic overfeeder.  As they say, the first step is recognizing you have a problem.  😂 

You will find the balance, it just takes some time.  When I start to get algae overgrowth I start cutting back on feeding, usually cut back around 50%.  Often does the trick, but it takes a few weeks to get back on track.

Horned/thorned nerites only lay very small, much less noticeable eggs that are easier to remove.  Maybe consider these smaller guys?

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, Odd Duck said:

We all feel like we’re flopping at some time or another.  It’s my normal state of being!  😆  I still sometimes struggle with algae since I’m a chronic overfeeder.  As they say, the first step is recognizing you have a problem.  😂 

You will find the balance, it just takes some time.  When I start to get algae overgrowth I start cutting back on feeding, usually cut back around 50%.  Often does the trick, but it takes a few weeks to get back on track.

Horned/thorned nerites only lay very small, much less noticeable eggs that are easier to remove.  Maybe consider these smaller guys?

Thank you so much @Odd Duck! Sometimes I think to myself, “do I need to quit the hobby? Am I just not cut out for this?” 
I am likely an over feeder too to be entirely honest so I’m glad you mentioned that! Cutting back the lights & feedings hopefully will help! I’m also going to strongly consider some snails. I’ve heard their benefits far outweigh their “problems.” 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:33 AM, FreshwaterFacet said:

Thank you so much @Odd Duck! Sometimes I think to myself, “do I need to quit the hobby? Am I just not cut out for this?” 
I am likely an over feeder too to be entirely honest so I’m glad you mentioned that! Cutting back the lights & feedings hopefully will help! I’m also going to strongly consider some snails. I’ve heard their benefits far outweigh their “problems.” 

Snails are wonderful little rumbas for the tank! I have found the price of scraping off nerite eggs is worth the cleaning job they do. 

I recently was reminded to be a little more thorough with the directions for using H2O2.

Turn off all aeration and filtration, so the water is mostly still.

I like to use an infant medicine syringe, to limit the amount of H2O2 that can get in the tank... and don't use H2O2 right after fertilizing if you are using an iron rich fertilizer. 😬

Use the medicine syringe to put about 1 cc of H2O2 on each section of algae. Wait 10 minutes before turning filtration and aeration back on.

Algae should be bleached looking over the next 24 hours. If not, repeat treatment.

I use my tanks to teach others who struggle with mental health issues how to bring a little nature inside. Learning how to slow down, and *listen* to our tanks is one of the best opportunities for developing more sustainable coping skills.

I believe everyone is cut out for aquarium keeping, just not everyone is cut out for supporting other people on the journey. 😅

You have lots of support in here, all that is left is giving yourself a little grace.

• Like 1