What loaches do you recommend?

StockEwe49

Hi all, I have been trying to research a type of loach that will eat snails and stay relatively small. What are everyone's favorite (smaller to medium sized) loaches, that you have kept? In my research I have come across dwarf chain loaches but have never seen them in stores, anyone keep them?

On 10/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, StockEwe49 said:

Hi all, I have been trying to research a type of loach that will eat snails and stay relatively small. What are everyone's favorite (smaller to medium sized) loaches, that you have kept? In my research I have come across dwarf chain loaches but have never seen them in stores, anyone keep them?

i have yoyo loaches and zebra loaches and i love them..

IMG_20211030_192031 (1).jpg

IMG_20211031_154741.jpg

IMG_20211030_192438.jpg

IMG_20211031_155324.jpg

On 10/31/2021 at 5:04 PM, scott the fishman said:

i have yoyo loaches and zebra loaches and i love them..

IMG_20211030_192031 (1).jpg

IMG_20211031_154741.jpg

IMG_20211030_192438.jpg

IMG_20211031_155324.jpg

I  forgot to say i read online that the zebra loaches are one of the best snail eaters of the loach family

• Thanks 1

For a 55 zebra and dwarf chain are your best bet. The dwarf chain are smaller but a *lot* more active and require a fair amount of space for all that energy; also they are endangered so only farm raised specimens are available; zebra are almost certainly wild caught; they are larger but more tranquil so a bit depends on your other stocking. I have 10 zebra in my 120; mine are pretty shy so i only see them around feeding time. 

You could consider yoyo or gold zebra but yoyo can get fairly large so keeping 6 or more in a 55 while can be done is a bit more space consuming. Also yoyo can be a bit more random in terms of fish personality and some can  be a bit hard on other bottom fishes. gold zebra are nice but a bit less common and more prone to jumping. 

dwarf chain are a lot of fun but you really need at least 10 which can be a bit pricey for some folks.

All of these loaches need clean water and a bit of current really helps.

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, I always enjoy my tanks when I have large groups of a smaller fish versus small groups (or one) of a larger fish. 

I don't think any of these options are bad, at this point you're just going to pick what you like and what works for you! A 55 gives you tons of options.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, StockEwe49 said:

@anewbie yes the main thing in my research I was surprised about was how much some dwarf chain loaches are! But it makes sense, they are great for Nano tanks.

They are too active for nano tanks; they need a lot of room to swim. rosy loaches (from my reading) are better for smaller tanks.

• Thanks 1

I have dwarf chain loaches, and I really like them--they have a lot of personality!  They are VERY active.  I have 10 in a 75 gallon tank.  We call them the "wolf pack."  They don't bother the other fish, but they do like snails!  I got mine from Aquahuna; they're pricy, but that's where I found the best price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1