Sponge filter to replace over-the-back

Amelia

Advice please- 36 gal bow front with large sponge filter in left back corner and over-the-back filter back right corner. I like the setup and everything is meshing ( in place for a year now) but the noise of the hang on filter drives me up the wall. I am seeking advice before experimenting. Could I eliminate the hang on? Or replace with another sponge filter? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Absolutely you can both provide adequate filtration and aeration. I find I have more little floaties with just sponges than with both. I would keep the hob in a drawer in case you need to use carbon or chemical filtration for any reason.  Or if you want to run things like filter floss for a short duration. I would add the second sponge and wait at least a week or so before removing the hang on back to make sure your new sponge is adequately populated with beneficial bacteria.  Adding a ziss airstone and tightening it as far as it goes does a lot to quiet sponges as well and the coop nano pumps are virtually silent.  I’m a silent kinda girl 😁

• Like 4

Sorry for my delay s1,  it’s the motor! I keep the water level to the lip of the entrance to keep the waterfall noise down and I have removed the cover over the back top portion to keep it from rattling. I have even placed a piece of cardboard under the edges where the filter meets the tank to keep the vibration to a minimum 

• Sad 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, Amelia said:

Sorry for my delay s1,  it’s the motor! I keep the water level to the lip of the entrance to keep the waterfall noise down and I have removed the cover over the back top portion to keep it from rattling. I have even placed a piece of cardboard under the edges where the filter meets the tank to keep the vibration to a minimum 

You can replace the impeller for about $15.00 from Amazon.  This might stop a lot of your motor noise.  I’ve been switching all my Marineland’s for their Marineland Pro filters.  The motor is in the water so it restarts far more reliably and it’s much quieter.  The top also snaps down so it doesn’t rattle.  As long as you keep the water level appropriate, waterfall noise is virtually nonexistent.

That said, I really like using both an HOB (or two) and a sponge (or two).  Since it takes a lot more electricity to run an HOB, I can have battery UPS on my air pumps only and have them run for many hours and still have adequate filtration with a well seasoned sponge.  Even a big UPS will only run about 2 hours if it’s running your HOB’s (depending on their size).  I like the extra current from an HOB with that option of swapping out the sponge filling for chemical filtration if it’s ever needed.

• Like 2

Thx Odd Duck, I ended up just leaving the two covers off the top of the OTB and that took care of the noise! I’m glad too because I enjoy my setup with the sponge filter on one end of the tank and the OTB on the other end!

• Like 1