Should I bring in me out side ponds.

Brandon p

I live in SWFlorida so temps done get to low. Wearing shorts in Christmas is common .what worries me is when we do get a cold frond ith can last a few days to a week. Most of the time that means I could have a few days in the 40’s. For those that went to the livebearers convention, I’m also straight across the state and we get a few cooled day than there because the land warm the air until it gets to the east coast. I have guppies and mollies out the there now. Can they stay out or need to come in I have the room to bring them inside but it I don’t have to it’s easier for me

I live in SWFlorida so temps done get to low. Wearing shorts in Christmas is common .what worries me is when we do get a cold frond ith can last a few days to a week. Most of the time that means I could have a few days in the 40’s. For those that went to the livebearers convention, I’m also straight across the state and we get a few cooled day than there because the land warm the air until it gets to the east coast. I have guppies and mollies out the there now. Can they stay out or need to come in I have the room to bring them inside but it I don’t have to it’s easier for me

• Like 1

I am interested in this as well. I am in the Tampa Bay area. I have a stock tank with koi swordtails and shrimp. I plan to monitor the temps, my tank is mostly shaded this year so there shouldnt be as much swing in temp from day to night. I had an outdoor tank that was in full sun last year and the water temps would swing from 70-80+ to 40-50 from day/night. 

I think the rapid temperature change is worse than a consistent low temp. For my pond this year if I feel the temps are consistently too low I will probably add a heater and put it on an inkbird. This will let me set the temp to something like 50-60 since most aquarium heaters can not be set this low.

Also considering a de-icer but they are designed to stop freezing temps, not maintain 60. 

• Like 2

I don't keep ponds/tubs but I've seen your question pending for a bit here. I know FL weather well enough due to a friend out there. I have CA weather that doesn't get super cold either but not like you. If it's really not that many days what about a pond heater? I did an internet search and they don't seem that pricey and since you shouldn't have too many days of really cold I'd imagine not much power would be used. 

I also remember how Cory talked in a video once about aquariums not (always) needing heaters and he pointed out how so many fish farms (in FL even) raise fish outside in those temps. I'd probably run a heater myself unless they were in a very sheltered area but it was something most of us don't think about until it's brought up. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 10/30/2021 at 2:47 PM, GameCzar said:

There are a few good videos on YouTube with some folks that maintain outdoor ponds.  It's something we've been trying to figure out on a small scale, so I will likely use a heater for my planter/ponds. 

Right now I’m more worried about the small much buck pond like Dean made. I have a few that are 6’ round 4’ and one 15’x6’x4’. They should be ok. But 20 gallon pond will change temps.

@s1_ you are about 1:45 mins north so I stay warmer. I had a 220g tank by the pool. I had Amazon fish including atwo sizeable that where my friends that he asked he to grow them out so Thayer were not a snack in his very large lake. That a side in winter I would first have the heater set about 20-25 degrees even though on some there is a warning not to go higher than 20*. Then I would take some heavy goodwill or yardsale and wrap the tank with two or three and toss a cover over the top glass. That would hold temps in the mid 70’s or a little high. It was a little hassle especially when you get a two or three day cold front. It’s was great for longer ones or remove blankets and redo it. I decided that it was a waste to have it by the pool and moved back in. The whole reason I setup the muck was to be able to move them in. Now I’m draging feet and hoping they can stay. 

S1 have you tried to cover the pond to help keep the heat in and a bubbler