Mean Angelfish

Amelia

So I’ve had two angels for about 11 months from the time they were very young. They have always gotten along and have even started being affectionate to each other; like they are kissing and such….. until about 6 days ago. Now one of them is bullying the other to the point that the subservient one is hiding. If I try to give the underdog attention, the bully gets mad and immediately starts to “peck” the other with his/her mouth and chases him/her away. Will this behavior stop? Or do I need to remove the bully? 

You might try adding a third angel of equal size.  Mine acted this way until they were moved to a tank with another angel.  It took a day for the new pecking order to be established, now they are all peaceful.  Somewhere around that 11 month mark, the original two turned out to be a breeding pair, so that is also a possibility

• Thanks 1

It is possible if they are m/f they will eventually pair up but if they are both males things will likely not improve. Do you have close up of the two angels? The tank does not have enough room or barriers to allow the weaker of the two to effectively escape which is problematic depending on how aggressor level of aggression (which is fish dependent; I have some fairly passive males and some that are terror).

Also I don't believe adding a third angel will help. There is an opinion that more will spread the aggression but in my experience it doesn't really work that way with angelfishes. 

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, Amelia said:

I don’t know how to sex them properly although I’ve tried to watch videos explaining how. The aggressive one is completely flat under the belly but the subservient one has a tiny “tube-like thing “ near its anus. 

If you post good pictures of them I'm sure folks would take a shot at sexing them.

• Love 1

I had the same issue in my 37 gallon with nearly identical stocking.  My two koi angelfish played nice, then one began laying eggs.  After 3 rounds of laying, with no viable eggs, one sadly killed the other.  Now she just floats around looking lonely.  I like to think she regrets her behavior, and wishes she had her playmate back.

• Sad 1

It is unlikely getting more will help. However - you could try getting a new set of young angels and see how they turn out. Individual fishes have different personalities but you never really know until they reach adult hood how they will turn out. If you do decide to start over I would start with 4 with full expectation of having to remove at least 2 when they reach adulthood. Conversely you could remove 1 and be happy with one. You could also wait a few more weeks and see what happens.

• Like 1