Anyone recognize these?

These tiny green balls have started becoming a nuisance in my tank and I can’t figure out what they are. My first thought was duckweed starting to sprout but they do not seem to grow past these little balls. The only floating plant I have is dwarf water lettuce but also have planted varieties of Anubias, dwarf sag, hydrocotyle, and Java fern

Apart from my general curiosity, my fish do occasionally try to eat them so I would like to make sure they’re not harmful to my community tank. 

Thanks for some insight!

D398FC0A-620F-4680-8E33-6515C74767AB.jpeg

E08E54C3-B3F2-454D-84C2-BFF5A698CF43.jpeg

Yes, as @Guppysnail says, that’s Wolffia.  I have found it far more difficult to clear than duckweed.  It’s so very tiny and doesn’t pop back up to the surface as fast as duckweed.  I’ve been trying to get a skimmer type filter fine tuned to remove this stuff but had no luck at all as yet.  It’s not doing a good job.  😠  I think I’ll likely need to get a plant eating fish in the infested tanks in order to make much headway short of takedown and sterilizing the tanks.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:52 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, as @Guppysnail says, that’s Wolffia.  I have found it far more difficult to clear than duckweed.  It’s so very tiny and doesn’t pop back up to the surface as fast as duckweed.  I’ve been trying to get a skimmer type filter fine tuned to remove this stuff but had no luck at all as yet.  It’s not doing a good job.  😠  I think I’ll likely need to get a plant eating fish in the infested tanks in order to make much headway short of takedown and sterilizing the tanks.

My livebearers have been eating it😳

• Like 2