2 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

Need some advice how to set it up right not getting a high hatch rate can you show me how you have urs set up and steps? 

My recipe for the Ziss hatchery gives me a VERY high hatch rate:

2L tap water (NOT dechlorinated)
10 tsp of Instant Ocean salt
pinch of baking soda
2 tsp of eggs

I run at room temperature, no special lighting, and I wait 36 hours.

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

Need some advice how to set it up right not getting a high hatch rate can you show me how you have urs set up and steps? 

I have hatch rate issues too whenever I tried to hatch using softened tap water and pure salt. A pinch of baking soda or a pinch of seachem excel will increase hatch rate, using hard well water will help, but my preferred method is just to use "instant ocean". It has the salt and additives all together to get good hatch rates.

Also make sure your temperature is 78ish for a 24 hour hatch and the bubbler is running well, if the hatchery is too cold it can take days to get a good hatch.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1

28 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

My recipe for the Ziss hatchery gives me a VERY high hatch rate:

2L tap water (NOT dechlorinated)
10 tsp of salt
pinch of baking soda
2 tsp of eggs

I run at room temperature, no special lighting, and I wait 36 hours.

Awesome thanks won’t the chlorinated water hurt the fish when you add the brine shrimp in ?

24 minutes ago, Leo2o915 said:

Awesome thanks won’t the chlorinated water hurt the fish when you add the brine shrimp in ?

No, the chlorinated water is actually important, in my opinion. I believe it helps stave off bacterial infection of the eggs while they soften up and hatch. It gasses off before it becomes a danger to the baby brine shrimp.

In fact, my water has chloramines in it; there is no negative effect on the hatching. Rather, I think it helps.

Forgot to mention, major detail: My salt is Instant Ocean as well. It probably makes a difference.

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 1

• Administrators

For me, using Fritz RPM salt makes a huge difference. I use 2 tablespoons, I don't dechlorinate the water. My fish room is heated so it runs at about 75 degrees, takes 20 hours to hatch. There is a huge range in egg quality and how you store them. Once the container is opened,  you want to limit the amount of humidity and oxygen you expose the eggs to. So using a smaller container to pull eggs from, keeping them in the fridge helps.

We'll be launching our own brine shrimp eggs, but we are waiting for FDA approval to bring them in. The hatch rate and egg separation is the best that Randy, Dean, and myself have used/tested.

1 hour ago, Cory said:

For me, using Fritz RPM salt makes a huge difference. I use 2 tablespoons, I don't dechlorinate the water. My fish room is heated so it runs at about 75 degrees, takes 20 hours to hatch. There is a huge range in egg quality and how you store them. Once the container is opened,  you want to limit the amount of humidity and oxygen you expose the eggs to. So using a smaller container to pull eggs from, keeping them in the fridge helps.

We'll be launching our own brine shrimp eggs, but we are waiting for FDA approval to bring them in. The hatch rate and egg separation is the best that Randy, Dean, and myself have used/tested.

I'm really looking forward to this. I was going to buy the hatchery ahead of time but alas your sold out. Hope when they come back in that the eggs and salt are available also.

In the summer I can get away with no heater in the brine shrimp hatchery, with indoor temps around 72-74. In the winter I do run a heater ~78 degrees and have noticed it speeds up the hatching time considerably.

Hello I need smaller batches. I do half liter not treated with dechlorinator,(marked the level on side of the blender for easy refill); 1 tablespoon aquarium salt, air pump on high, 1/8 of tspn of brine shrimp direct eggs (or less). I figure the air pump on high take s care of any chlorine.I found my hatch rate went up hugely when I had a warm light right on it bringing it to 82 degrees. 27 hours. Plenty of shrimp for my 4 lightly stocked tanks and patio pond  but the output still varies some. So sometimes, I do have to work at getting shrimp while leaving the unhatched eggs behind. Looking forward to trying out the new Aq.Coop eggs!

Edited by Wmarian
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cory said:

Awesome thanks Cory! Appreciate it all the help always hopefully get my shrimp cave and java moss in by Friday 🙂 what’s the best way to set it up for the shrimp