Artificial decorations

Atitagain

I told myself I’d never use them again but this tank is gonna have my Oscar in it and I don’t like plain rocks/ driftwood only tanks. So if he uproots I’ll just replant or remove as needed. I made the substrate extra thick and only used decor that have good weights on them and buried them as deep as possible. If he wants to he will still be able to pull them out but atleast his normal swimming and dancing won’t dislodge them. He picks leaves off Anubias tied to logs, pulls val up (wasn’t rooted very well), and eats any floating plants I’ve tried. I’m gonna be planting Amazon swords in movable pots and when they get nice strong roots try to use them in here.

Question is do any of you have real plants with these bigger type of fish that are known to uproot and damage them? How and what type? Pics plz if possible.B465A91D-0D0E-41D2-A20D-C385EE22F8DA.jpeg.c01a4bc05318ced0830c8b5c43925a9e.jpeg

and @Guppysnail it took me a couple extra minutes but I made sure the pictus had his whiskers on full display 🙂

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I used to use weighted stem plants and algae balls with my goldfish  (they were big fish)  I would tried various things and did opt for some artificial plants just to to stop things looking to stark and they gave the fish something play with .  Stem plants where the cheapest to keep going I'd just trim some and grow them up in a jar on a windowsill

The fish moved everything I had to take the pebbles out of tank because I was afraid of one of the fish damaging the tank digging through them looking for cory eggs. 

I also had to make sure that they could knock anything over hence the low wide wood and décor I still have. 

• Like 1

It really depends on the Oscar.. Mine was ok with plastic plants until he got about 10 to 12 inches, then he pretty much destroyed them. His favorite hobby was excavating one half of the tank to move a small colored rock around and rebury it.. Anything small enough for him to physically move got knocked over, dismembered, or buried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Stem plants where the cheapest to keep going I'd just trim some and grow them up in a jar on a windowsill

I this will be one of the things I do for sure

On 10/19/2021 at 11:05 AM, Griznatch said:

It really depends on the Oscar.. Mine was ok with plastic plants until he got about 10 to 12 inches, then he pretty much destroyed t

That’s what I hoping he will do ok with them until he gets bigger, I have a bigger tank to move him too when he’s ready and I’m trying to set it up now and get plants good and established beforehand. Even tho I know when he gets to that 10-12” mark no matter what I do it will be his decision on how the tank is decorated.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Would bamboo in pots coming out the back of the tank work? At least those could be secured.

that’s a really good idea, I will definitely look into using it. I’ve already been looking for a place to try it out and I never even considered using it here.

Ahem, might I direct you to my 75 gallon tank in my sig?  My Jack Dempseys constantly shoved and yanked at the plastic plants and moved gravel around, destroyed all,live plants I tried when I was using just substrate (even when I tried it on shelves).

Then I saw @dasaltemelosguy’s tank and my brain did a springboard to deep pots with a couple inches of stones/large pebbles holding the plants in place.

The Jacks are still not gentle on the plants and I have to remove big sword plant leaves or chunks of Val periodically, but they are mostly surviving and the Jacks seem more comfortable hanging out in the much softer, live plants.

The big male is over 10”, the female nearly 9”, both plecos are about 12”.  Somebody can move the biggest rock in the tank.  I haven’t seen which fish it is.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I had a fish (see avatar) that would sulk if I took a particular ceramic ornament out of its tank. If it didn't get put back after cleaning the fish would just sulk at the bottom of the tank.  Plop the thing back it and the fish would be finally now I'm home  let me knock that over for you. And would swim round happily.  

So remember its their house and they don't give a stuff what you want.

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:07 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I had a fish (see avatar) that would sulk if I took a particular ceramic ornament out of its tank. If it didn't get put back after cleaning the fish would just sulk at the bottom of the tank.  Plop the thing back it and the fish would be finally now I'm home  let me knock that over for you. And would swim round happily.  

So remember its their house and they don't give a stuff what you want.

So true 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...