Ok so I am basically brand new to this hobby and I am really struggling when it comes to getting my plants healthy and controlling my algae. The only plant that I have noticed grow at all is my tiger lotus bulb. Everything else has basically stayed the same or gotten worse since it was introduced to the tank (melting, browning, deficiencies, etc). I struggle with diagnosing nutrient deficiencies because I’m new to this hobby and am not really sure what qualifies as symptoms of nutrient deficiencies vs regular plant behavior. Most of my plants have leaves that are turning yellow or brown, my Amazon sword has leaves that went from brown to yellow to translucent and also some have holes on them, etc. I’ll attach dated photos from when each plant was first introduced to the tank vs now.

Plant symptoms 

Tiger lotus bulb - few minor holes but that’s it

Amazon sword - translucent leaves, brown patches on leaves

Anubias barteri - haven’t noticed much except little to no growth

Anubias nana - haven’t noticed much except little to no growth

Java fern - some holes on a few leaves

Cryptocoryne lucen - hasn’t grown much, awkard leaf stem shape and occasionally leaves turn yellow

Cyrptocoryne wendtii - completely melted, growing some small leaves now

Pogostemon stellatus octopus - 50% leaves turning yellow or brown, 50% leaves green

Water sprite - leaves are browning

Water wisteria - didn’t grow at all, shriveled up and turned brown 

Java moss - basically all of it turned yellow brown

Dwarf Sagittaria - not much change, few leaves have melted

In this last month I’ve really struggled with algae as well (mostly hair algae). Every week I’ll do a deep clean of the tank (scrub walls + plants + decor, vacuum substrate, rinse filter) and get almost all of the algae out of my tank then do a 50% water change, but it just grows back a few days after. So I also need advice on balancing my tank. I want to dose more thrive fertilizer since I suspect my plants are missing out on many nutrients, but I also don’t want to encourage algae growth. I don’t know if I should mess with my light schedule, my fertilizer dosages, or both. My nitrates have been consistently high >40 ppm and Ive been dosing the recommended amount of thrive weekly for about 2 months now. My lights were on from 7 am - 3 pm for the first 2 months but last week I changed it to this schedule 

8 am - 12 pm : On

12pm - 1 pm : Off

1pm - 3pm : On

And I also noticed some water pests 1 or 2 weeks ago (detritus worms, hydra, I think daphnia / copepods, and rhabdocoela) but that’s a topic for another time

Details 

Tank : 20 gallon long 

Substrate : fluval stratum 

Fertilizer: thrive c (dose 1x week)

Light : Finnex stingray led light 

Filter : sponge

Heater : Fluval E100 (I keep it at 78°)

I set up my tank on August 1st 2021 and it’s not fully cycled yet (mistakes were made but the cycle is nearly complete now)

When I set up my tank (8/1/2021) I planted the following all in substrate:

Anubias barteri

Anubias nana

Amazon sword

Java fern

cryptocoryne wendtii

cryptocoryne lucen

Pogostemon stellatus octopus 

Tiger lotus bulb

A month later (9/1/2021) I attached my anubias barteri and anubias nana to wonder rock and I attached my Java fern to a coconut hut

I also added new plants (9/1/2021) :

Java moss

Water wisteria 

Water sprite

Dwarf Sagittara 

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you 🙂

2447E460-860E-477A-AA0D-2695A188AC9E.jpeg

D534C0FA-0FB0-4471-ABEC-6F93C207F824.jpeg

2E5AA9B5-9768-4BF0-949A-3E932F19109A.jpeg

7B600555-FEA9-46F8-9782-28276361083B.jpeg

D1FE720A-2429-4754-AD07-90773FBA71DE.jpeg

517D3E6E-53ED-4344-87FF-1FD660BD1C67.jpeg

67634568-39B3-4F79-8724-64717B709800.jpeg

3FB85634-DD2A-43EA-B29F-3CBE5C3EF7E1.jpeg

2BF1124D-E6C6-47CB-A6AC-700091DCB997.jpeg

• Administrators

While you do have a bit of algae, from what I can see, the melting back of the plants is quite normal. I planted some new aquariums about two months ago, and some of my small, slow-growing crypts are just now barely coming back.

Instead of trying to figure everything out at once, try one thing at a time. In my opinion, the easiest place to start is with the duration of light. Ideally your lights should be on a timer. Since you recently made a change to the lighting schedule, maybe leave it be for another couple of weeks. You can start to make little tweaks from there.

As for the life in the tanks (detritus worms, copepods, etc.), they shouldn't harm anything. 

Hello @BeginnerFishKeeper  First, thank you for the pictures.  I have had success with lesser lights, but  I am considering buying a Stingray, so this is interesting.

You have new growth from the PSO and other plants so melt is probably most of your problem. My first thought is to remove all of the brown/dead  leaves  from the aquarium.  They are algae food. Trimming can sometimes stimulate new growth.  The green portion of the taller PSO can be cut and allowed to float.  If the Wisteria is not totally dead, be patient. It is possible to plant a few green leaves and get a new plant.  Anubia is very slow growing, and can remain dormant for weeks or months.  I have read that Water Sprite prefers to float.  Floating a piece may work for you.  The Anubia will appreciate a little shade, and the algae will also receive less light. You can also remove the the badly damaged leaves from the broad leaf plants.

If you are not rinsing your sponge in aquarium water, you may be slowing your cycle down.  Hopefully something here is helpful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think you made a great first step going to six hours of light. That should help control algae. Like @Zenzosaid just let it be for a few weeks or a month. Keep your fertilizer dose steady during that time. Some Amano Shrimp and Otocinclus catfish will also help with algae. 

It looks like your plants need some husbandry. First, the Tiger Lotus looks great so I’d buy another one. 😀 Now for more drastic measures. Go ahead and cut the nice green tops off the PSO and replant them. Next, cut the nice green parts off the Sprite and let it float. The floaters will develop roots and you can replant the new plants. Trim any brown leaves from the Java fern. Manually clean the Anubias to remove some algae and help photosynthesis. Leave the Crypts to do their thing. 
Buy a few more plants to fill in while the other recover. A couple pots of Aquarium Coop Java Fern will give you at least four plants. And get another lotus for sure! 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:55 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Are the >40ppm Nitrates before or after your water change? How many pumps of Thrive are you putting into the tank?

Thank you for your comment! The >40 ppm would be before a water change, after its usually somewhere around >20ppm. I’ve been dosing 4 pumps of thrive c every week. 

Thank you all so much @Zenzo, @Tanked, and @Patrick_G!!! I wasn’t sure if there was a button  to reply but I just did this haha. I will be sure to follow all of your helpful advice. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Okay, reduce to 3 pumps and do 2x50% water changes over 2 days. Include gravel vacuuming when doing the water changes. You want to reduce the organics in the tank and have around 20ppm NO3 from actual fertilizer.

1x50% water change=20ishppm NO3

2ndx50% water change=10ish ppm NO3

10ish ppm tank + 3 pumps=18ish ppm NO3

If you can, quadruple your plant load. Under planting is probably the most common reason new people to the hobby have trouble.

Use plants like Pearl Weed, Hygrophila Polysperma, Val and dwarf Sag. I can't recommend Hygrophila Polysperma enough, it's a gorgeous plant and is one of a few stems that preform very well in non CO2 tanks. Just get it, trust me!

I would keep your light to 8 hours, with no siesta. What kind of light is it?

Edited by Mmiller2001

On 10/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Okay, reduce to 3 pumps and do 2x50% water changes over 2 days. Include gravel vacuuming when doing the water changes. You want to reduce the organics in the tank and have around 20ppm NO3 from actual fertilizer.

1x50% water change=20ishppm NO3

2ndx50% water change=10ish ppm NO3

10ish ppm tank + 3 pumps=18ish ppm NO3

If you can, quadruple your plant load. Under planting is probably the most common reason new people to the hobby have trouble.

Use plants like Pearl Weed, Hygrophila Polysperma, Val and dwarf Sag. I can't recommend Hygrophila Polysperma enough, it's a gorgeous plant and is one of a few stems that preform very well in non CO2 tanks. Just get it, trust me!

I would keep your light to 8 hours, with no siesta. What kind of light is it?

Ok will do those water changes, after the 2 days of 50% water changes, how often should I do a water change? 

I wanted to get more plants but I didn’t know if the tank would be too crowded for a fish or not. How much “negative space” or room should I leave for a betta fish? 

I use a Finnex stingray led light.

Thank you for the help, much appreciated! 

The more you are willing to do is best. Try for once a week, but every 2 weeks is okay too. Just adjust your dosing accordingly.

I've been front loading my nutrients recently, and it's working really well. Basically, you dose incoming water to the amounts you want the tank to be. It simplifies dosing just a bit and you don't have to remember to dose so often.

70% planted seems to be a pretty common belief. I'd start there.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

The more you are willing to do is best. Try for once a week, but every 2 weeks is okay too. Just adjust your dosing accordingly.

I've been front loading my nutrients recently, and it's working really well. Basically, you dose incoming water to the amounts you want the tank to be. It simplifies dosing just a bit and you don't have to remember to dose so often.

70% planted seems to be a pretty common belief. I'd start there.

Ok sweet, thanks a bunch! I’ll definitely be following your suggestions. Thanks again! 

• 1 month later...

it looks like your tank is going its initial growing pains, every new aquarium will get melt and algae. its part of the process. water changes once a week and aquarium coop test strips will ensure your good.

on a side note, your amazon sword is still a baby, ive had one for a year now and its nearing the top of my 24" tall aquarium (those things get HUGE)