Valisneria

Hello everyone, I’ve had Valisneria in my Aquarium that I bought from the Co-Op a few months ago and for some reason it never grows tall.  It sends out plenty of shoots but stays low.  I have a Finnex Fugeray Planted Plus light, Nitrates around 20 ppm, pH 7.4.  I dose with Easy Green and use ACO Root Tabs.

AEBD615D-A16F-409C-9EED-AFCA05DF92C1.jpeg

552493BB-44CA-42AF-9FAD-9A93EC72E0CB.jpeg

Edited by TMartins

it can take a long time for vallisneria to get going in some tanks for not apparent reason I have had it spread like wildfire in some of my tanks be really slow to get going in others it very hit and miss I would give some more time

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Mine was in my tank for a couple months and it sent a few runners, but never got above 2-3 inches tall.
Then I switched to a Fluval light (unrelated, it was for other plants) and after a couple weeks the youngest runners started growing but any of the sprouts over a month old hasn't grown taller. It could just stay short in lower light. I'm not familiar with your light to know though

• Thanks 1

Not sure; you could try turning the light down a little. This is mine (italia val); jungle val is more like an inch thick leaves - i have that in my 120; my substrate is inert (like yours); my water is gh 7 kh 3 ph 7-7.1. You could try some root tabs (i use two or three every 3 or 4 months - so no too frequent or too many):

w29.jpg.a1984c9670210efa328c514d6178b0b3.jpg

• Thanks 1

I wanted to follow up this - i was watching the italia val in my black 29 (not picture) as it recently sprouted and noticed you didn't mention a time line for your plants. You should not be surprise if it takes 2 to 4 months for them to reach the top in a low tech aquarium.