Drilling 10 Gallons

MitchellAshton

After watching the recent Serpa Design video on YouTube, I’d love to set up a rack of 10gallons like he does. He drills them for his WC system, but I’ve heard 10g’s glass will crack (even if it’s not tempered) because it’s thinner. I’m comfortable drilling larger tanks, but would like to here from someone else who has a drilled a 10g first! 
Thanks, 

Mitch

I've drilled 2 1/8" holes into 5.5g and 10g tanks for tarantula enclosures. It can definitely be done, but you might want to get a beater tank to practice on. You really can't put more pressure than the weight of the drill or the entire pane will crack. 

Edited by Ogpulchra

10 gallons specifically break alot even if you do it right. I think specialty bits go miles here and using a diamond tipped hole saw. I believe serpa uses diamond tips from Amazon on his tanks but you can also find them at most hardware stores. If the hole is too tight for your bulkhead use a very fine file or sandpaper until it's snug. Feels bad when you try to seal a bulkhead and crack the glass.

I hate drilling 10's!  My advice would be, don't.  I've had poor luck with them.  I have a rack of 20's because of that.  Provides a lot more space which is nice.  If you can have room, that's what I would recommend.  Getting 20's at dollar gallon sales is not going to break the bank.  I've never cracked one of them.  And, everything is amazingly more stable in them because you have doubled your water volume on a not dramatically larger footprint.  To do that again, you have to go up to a 40B and there you pay much more than double, and it takes us basically double the space.  To me 20's are the best doubling deal you can get, and the make a nice rack setup.  My 2¢. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 9:10 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I hate drilling 10's!  My advice would be, don't.  I've had poor luck with them.  I have a rack of 20's because of that.  Provides a lot more space which is nice.  If you can have room, that's what I would recommend.  Getting 20's at dollar gallon sales is not going to break the bank.  I've never cracked one of them.  And, everything is amazingly more stable in them because you have doubled your water volume on a not dramatically larger footprint.  To do that again, you have to go up to a 40B and there you pay much more than double, and it takes us basically double the space.  To me 20's are the best doubling deal you can get, and the make a nice rack setup.  My 2¢. 

I appreciate the advice from someone who has actually done it. I’ll have to consider 20s, even though I’m tight on space. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:10 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

On 10/16/2021 at 10:59 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

10 gallons specifically break alot even if you do it right. I think specialty bits go miles here and using a diamond tipped hole saw. I believe serpa uses diamond tips from Amazon on his tanks but you can also find them at most hardware stores. If the hole is too tight for your bulkhead use a very fine file or sandpaper until it's snug. Feels bad when you try to seal a bulkhead and crack the glass.

Thanks. Never even thought about a file or sandpaper for glass. I like to make the joke, I work at an ace hardware but I’m just a cashier. I’ll definitely get a diamond tip hole saw though. 

Have any of y’all tried 15s? Is there the same issue? A 15s demensions are much easier to work with than a 20. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, MitchellAshton said:

Thanks. Never even thought about a file or sandpaper for glass. I like to make the joke, I work at an ace hardware but I’m just a cashier. I’ll definitely get a diamond tip hole saw though. 

I am a victim of the fact that my go to method is brute force and ignorance. I learned that one the hard way. 5 times.

• Haha 1