Deer Antlers in aquarium

On 10/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I responded to a wreck the other night where some lady hit and killed an 8-point buck. I cut the antlers off to bring home to my dog, but I’ll probably cut off the pointy tips. Anyone ever put antlers in an aquarium to add calcium and raise pH? Would this work long term?

Everyday fishkeeping added a deer femur to his. No adverse effects 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I responded to a wreck the other night where some lady hit and killed an 8-point buck. I cut the antlers off to bring home to my dog, but I’ll probably cut off the pointy tips. Anyone ever put antlers in an aquarium to add calcium and raise pH? Would this work long term?

I’m not sure what effect it would have on your tank but I do know they are hard enough for your dog to fracture his teeth.  I know they sell them for dogs to chew on (makes me angry every time I think about it) but every veterinary dentist either cringes at this or celebrates because it makes them money when they get to extract the fractured tooth depending on their philosophy.

Just FYI, if you can’t make a dent in it with your fingernail, it’s too hard for your dog to chew on, especially if they are geriatric.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Would they even add calcium aren't they mainly keratin with only a small bone root ?  Keratin shouldn't dissolve so probably aquarium safe and might look cool. 

What's their buoyancy though aren't they hollow?

antlers are solid. while they are not true bone, they are hard. they will sink.

• Like 1

Most horns are hollow at the base. Antlers are meant to fall out and regrow. Horns don’t relay grow back if if breaks at the base.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:49 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

That is a great idea. Let me know how it works. I made a nice rack that I think would look great as a center piece in a planted tank

I did some poking around and was surprised to read that antlers that are shed (like in deer) are mostly bone once mature, so they could add calcium and trace elements to a tank. Other antlers/horns that aren't shed are more keratin based (think hair) and only have a bony base. I'd avoid the keratin ones but the calcium ones are likely okay.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 8:18 PM, gardenman said:

I did some poking around and was surprised to read that antlers that are shed (like in deer) are mostly bone once mature, so they could add calcium and trace elements to a tank. Other antlers/horns that aren't shed are more keratin based (think hair) and only have a bony base. I'd avoid the keratin ones but the calcium ones are likely okay.

if you've ever come across shed antlers you find vermin like to chew on them, and eat them for the calcium they contain. as to the OP, i still dont believe they would dissolve enough to add anything to a tank. 

On 10/8/2021 at 10:31 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Would they even add calcium aren't they mainly keratin with only a small bone root ?  Keratin shouldn't dissolve so probably aquarium safe and might look cool. 

What's their buoyancy though aren't they hollow?

Antlers actual arnt horns, which are made from keratin, they are mostly solid bone, which is mostly calcium 

On 10/8/2021 at 11:19 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’m not sure what effect it would have on your tank but I do know they are hard enough for your dog to fracture his teeth.  I know they sell them for dogs to chew on (makes me angry every time I think about it) but every veterinary dentist either cringes at this or celebrates because it makes them money when they get to extract the fractured tooth depending on their philosophy.

Just FYI, if you can’t make a dent in it with your fingernail, it’s too hard for your dog to chew on, especially if they are geriatric.

Wow never knew that, thanks for the heads up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:
On 10/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, Odd Duck said:

Wow never knew that, thanks for the heads up

It’s not known commonly enough, which is why I mentioned it.  It’s unfortunate that they are sold for this in pet stores.  😡  But any veterinary dentist, and 95% of veterinarians, will tell you they are too hard for dogs and risk slab fractures of the molars, especially in older dogs.

• 1 month later...