Betta lover from Springfield MO

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and my spoiled Betta. His name is fishy fishy, but I mostly call him pretty boy because he likes being told how pretty he is. Lol... My Girlfriend actually got this Betta about a year and a half ago. I had no Idea that my girlfriend's fish would turn into my best friend. I love this little guy more than I have ever loved any animal. It was just such a surprise to me when I seen how intelligent he was. I had always seen Bettas sitting in little bowls dieing more often than not. It's a travesty that they are treated the way they are. I feel like if people realized how much personality they have and how incredibly smart they were and how they love swimming around showing off, I think fewer Bettas would be sitting around in cups. I'm sure other fish have great personalities too but I just happened to get this surprise with my girlfriend's Betta that I've pretty well taken over. I made the mistake of feeding him too much and he got constipated and it made him sick, I thought he had dropsy and I was devistaded. I try really hard to take good care of him and I couldn't understand how that's could happen. Thank God I was wrong and he just needed to poop.. lol, he is recovered now and I realized that I just wanted to share something that makes me so happy.  Even if it was showing off my Betta on a forum and introducing myself like a crazed Betta stalker.... He lives alone in his tank. I thought a few times about getting some safe tank mates but I honestly feel like he enjoys having the tank to himself. Plus I keep him company. His color isn't as vibrant as normal as he has just recovered a few days ago but here are some pictures. He's got free roam of a 36 gallon tank. I have lots of substrate and keep his water level lower than you would most fish tanks since he is a  labrinth breather.  We started out with a 2 gallon then went to a 5 gallon then a 20 gallon and now the 36 gallon. I also found out that once he has a bigger tank I can't downsize him to an older tank because he gets depressed. Anyways I've gone on long enough. For some reason I just wanted to share my experience with this amazing fish. If someone else reads this and finds happiness with a fish like I have then my crazy intoduction post will be well worth it...

20211001_062109.jpg

20211001_061700.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum, you’ll find a lot of “betta stalker”s here they are a wonderful fish. I’m just as crazy about my venustus when someone ask about my tanks he’s definitely the fist I talk about and the first pic I show49EB1101-088E-40EA-892E-755ADD34913A.jpeg.83b61b46014ff112ab228294b6a8440c.jpegsorry couldn’t help myself. We’re all a little crazy about our fish around here.

• Like 4

On 10/1/2021 at 7:55 AM, Atitagain said:

Welcome to the forum, you’ll find a lot of “betta stalker”s here they are a wonderful fish. I’m just as crazy about my venustus when someone ask about my tanks he’s definitely the fist I talk about and the first pic I show49EB1101-088E-40EA-892E-755ADD34913A.jpeg.83b61b46014ff112ab228294b6a8440c.jpegsorry couldn’t help myself. We’re all a little crazy about our fish around here.

That's a really pretty fish. How old is he?

On 10/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Welcome, Trained Human! Awesome name.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. You and your betta seem fun. 🙂 

@Atitagain, my first thought was "angry lemon." 😂

I got a lemon of my own. Couldn't live without it. 😅. Thank you for the kind words as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, Betta Trained Human said:

That's a really pretty fish. How old is he?

He’s almost 2 a impulse buy at P.S. 

Meant to ask earlier you said your fish went from 

On 10/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, Betta Trained Human said:

2 gallon then went to a 5 gallon then a 20 gallon and now the 36 gallon

What did you do with the other tanks? You might as well set them up, stock them, and officially have MTS like most of us here.