Plant Trimmings Compost Bin?

Blaha

Hello,
So I have had fish for a long time, but am new to planted tanks (2 months).
When plants get bigger than desired or when a leaf or branch melts back/dies I trim it and remove it.
Since plants can are grown above water at factories is there a chance these plants could propagate if they are just tossed in the yard or in the trash and taken to a landfill? Most tank plants would be invasive plant species to most people's local environment so if they could grow and spread could it cause problems for the local environment?
My solution to this unknown is to throw all the trimmings into a small plastic bin with some holes drilled in the lid. The bin then sits outside in a high sun area to really dry them out and kill them.
Is this necessary? Does it matter? and What, if any, steps do you take with disposal of your plant trimmings?

It really depends on the plant. Every state has different rules about what's prohibited. Generally speaking, throwing them in the trash is pretty good. The main thing is to not flush them down the toilet or the sink. What you're doing is good. Not necessary, I think, but if you wanna do it, sure. 

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine

Yeah, I never really know what to do with mine, especially when the first thing that comes up when I Google some of them is how horribly invasive they are to some environments (Amazon frogbit). My strategy lately has just been to keep a Ziploc bag under the tank and put trimmings in there. When it's full (or I can no longer stand the smell that emanates when I open it), I seal it up and throw it in the trash. Throwing straight in the trash is probably good enough, but I'm paranoid about it.

• Thanks 1

Any plant that I don't want to spread sits on the concrete until it is dry and brown, than off to the compost heap.  Seed heads if any on invasive plants go into the trash or fire pit..

Aquarium trimmings that haven't rotted go into the tank with the omnivores.

• Thanks 1

I would be willing to bet my lunch money that you're local water treatment facility is set up to take care of any unwelcome plants that happen to go down the drain. Come on, think about what goes down drains.

• Haha 1

I usually take the trimmings from say water sprite or wisteria and flot those in other tanks or in my outdoor pond.  if I can use the trimmings in other tanks I add to those. 99 percent of the time...nothing that is left is worth anything and goes into the vegetable garden for compost. 

I have never seen one root and start growing....although if it did I would probably water it and feed it and start selling it on the internet.

• Haha 1