My Betta fish unexpectedly died! Now what!? (options for my brand new Aquatop)

xXInkedPhoenixX

@Guppysnail, thanks for the recommendations I'll likely get some of that too. As with everyone else here I've got lots of foods! My tiny Embers needed smaller food too so I'm slightly prepared for them since on the Huna's website they look super duper little (great for me). 

Only concern is they come in an 8 pack and I'm sure they don't know boy from girl when so small. I may have to pull some if the aggression I've read about comes out but I have back up plans for that. You'll have to school me there. 

On 9/24/2021 at 8:03 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail, thanks for the recommendations I'll likely get some of that too. As with everyone else here I've got lots of foods! My tiny Embers needed smaller food too so I'm slightly prepared for them since on the Huna's website they look super duper little (great for me). 

Only concern is they come in an 8 pack and I'm sure they don't know boy from girl when so small. I may have to pull some if the aggression I've read about comes out but I have back up plans for that. You'll have to school me there. 

I’ve had off numbers. I had no aggression until I dropped to 2g/5b. That’s why I ordered more. Be prepared they are way small and the no feed to ship the look emancipated when they arrive because they are very young maybe 2-3 months old and have not had a chance to store fat. If you plan to med wait until they fatten up or they probably won’t survive. But mine from there are doing awesome already in my community of heathens 🤣

Ps——please do progress updates. I love these tiny guys 🥰

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail I'm not a med user unless I see a need so that fits my philosophy fine. I will be the witch in the Hansel & Gretel story minus the unhappy ending and puff the little suckers into happy fatsos. I hope to have good progress updates 🤞

I don’t med either unless needed. Mine did wonderful as well as panda and Pygmy Cory from Aqua huna. 

So our friends at Aquahuna shipped my new tiny friends Monday, I got them safely here in CA Wednesday early evening, they were acclimating according to their instructions and in their new tank after that process was done. As expected they all came pretty darn pale and I was a bit worried for them during the acclimation process because all their little gills looked inflamed (I tested the ammonia in the acclimation water it was likely over 1.0ppm even after adding the new tank water- that green is hard to read). They were clearly stressed and very "darty". We all made it through. A few hours after they were added they already started to look better. 

There's definitely a larger dominant one already- he (I believe it's a he due to coloring) is the biggest of them all. They do little head to tail circle dances and he chases around ALL the other CPDs. I've not witnessed any violence or nipping- maybe they're just sorting out a pecking order for now. My Flex9 is willing to take on 2 or 3 of them if need be. Not an ideal situation since then they'd be in a small number but they'd have Embers to keep them company. I've attached a few pics- not at all great as they are super fast little buggers. The biggest one is front/center of the measuring cup pic and the one that's pictured solo (for coloring example)

Resized_20210930_163052.jpg

20210930_1629241.jpg

Resized_20210930_163249.jpg

• Like 3

They are HUGE. Mine were just past fry no color for 3 weeks.  They will sort themselves out 😊. Here is a girl. That black dot is the earliest sexing clue. You will see this long before boys color up. 9FAC765B-565E-437B-8ABD-228E60C38FDC.jpeg.1239d96fdf475cdf7c75eb97d66d50b1.jpeg

my boys all develop this sort of stripe3C2D5788-EA65-458F-A379-C59506A69F6A.jpeg.77e2f634aaa27b7459bb2ec9b5cf2ccc.jpeg

These two are boysB00EDC4F-64A4-4323-98C9-D1745E6AD344.png.0d498558d20ad05b39273c2132d48bb5.png603BD367-0DEE-4D30-BA8E-B838481D3D95.png.2f85b3e1022585a05cf69e37c3d1391a.png

• Love 1

On 9/30/2021 at 8:29 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail I guess mine have been sitting at the warehouse for a bit then! 😉 Thanks for the tips on sexing. I figured the biggest was a boy. I hope I got a good mix of boys/girls to keep the peace, they look so pretty together and are very active little things. 

From your photo 2 girls 4 boys 2 unknown. 

Update: CPDs doing great. Their tank tested wonky from the last numbers today (pH took a dive, ammonia up a little- water change performed). Nitrate hasn't come up yet so though there was plenty "recycled" media from the old tank and I used Seachem Stability for the first 7 days the cycle may not be complete. I'll just keep a stiff eye on them every day and strip test. They are all active, good color and look healthy/no signs of illness. 

.....then there's the other thing.....

I'm either super stubborn or not very bright as this week I ended up with a Betta. As with potato chips this is REALLY the last one lol.  I got a baby girl. Maybe if I finish raising her in my tanks she will do better???!!! I don't know. She will not go with the CPDs however, she will be in the Flex9 that runs hotter (from 78 up to 82 without a heater). She's also about the size of my Ember Tetras right now so once she's loose in there as she grows she'll be used to them and there will hopefully be no conflict. 

20211007_1724471.jpg

20211007_1724341.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just went through a similar transition after losing my Betta and adopted two CPDs and a Lamplight killifish from LFS. I will eventually get them friends, but I am waiting for them to get a little bigger. The CPDs at the Coop were beautiful but much larger, so I do not want these little guys to feel intimidated. They are fun little bits!

Love your Betta! 😍

@Guppysnail @eatyourpeas ...they sucker you in these little fish...and I am a sucker. What I liked about this little girl was because she's so white her eyes almost look like googly craft eyes you glue on puppets. Plus since I worked for an animal shelter I know that there are certain colors people won't adopt- black cats and dogs and white rabbits. I imagine it's the same for Betta- there were lots of beautiful multicolored boys and girls- even when they were single colored boys they were rather fancy- this was the only little girl who was one color and she was at the very bottom of the rack (not 3" off the floor). I took pity on the little thing. She was $2.99!!!!!!! What an insult!!!!!!!

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 11:59 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail @eatyourpeas ...they sucker you in these little fish...and I am a sucker. What I liked about this little girl was because she's so white her eyes almost look like googly craft eyes you glue on puppets. Plus since I worked for an animal shelter I know that there are certain colors people won't adopt- black cats and dogs and white rabbits. I imagine it's the same for Betta- there were lots of beautiful multicolored boys and girls- even when they were single colored boys they were rather fancy- this was the only little girl who was one color and she was at the very bottom of the rack (not 3" off the floor). I took pity on the little thing. She was $2.99!!!!!!! What an insult!!!!!!!

I keep all my colorless girl guppies and boy guppies that are not as flashy for this reason. I only take the fanciest showiest to the lfs (I know backwards) because I’m afraid they either will not be adopted or will not be loved enough for just their beautiful personality.

• Love 3

On 10/10/2021 at 5:22 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

😐 ...the baby Betta died. NOW  there is truly no more Bettas for me. 

I am so sorry...😔

I used to keep bettas alive for ~ 5 years, average. I used to breed bettas.....

Since the beginning of the pandemic, all my bettas have died, including 2 I purchased after the pandemic started.

Water parameters, everything was perfect (except I learned from Gianne's talk I didn't keep humidity high enough for their labyrinth organs..)

Gianne spoke about the fish that are predominantly available now are coming from places that always have salt in the water, are kept room temp of 80° to 85° F, and have 100% water changes pretty much every day... and nearly 90% or more humidity. 

I can't provide those parameters, and most of the fish stores aren't providing those parameters, so by the time we get the fish, they are already excessively stressed.

You gave her love, and a gorgeous tank with plenty of room, and a much warmer space than she had at the store.

I don't think you are a betta killer.

I think you are a betta comforter, and that's a gift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 1:49 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Torrey I appreciate that. With all that said it seems like then the aquarium trade is setting us all up for failure as MOST of us can't keep those parameters. Which makes me even more frustrated because it sets these little fish lives up for failure too. All for $$$$$$$$ Well. They're not getting any more of mine. 

If you change your mind in the future, look for your local chapter of the International Betta Conference. If you find a local breeder, you can find out their parameters, food, etc... then apply the information from Gianne's talk: covered tank to keep humidity up for the labyrinth organ.

I have already found my local breeder.

Now I am waiting for my dining room build to be complete, and cycled.

Then I am getting 3 to 5 sisters from him, as Gianne explained the secret to a sorority: get sisters in the same bag who have never been separated. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ok, I'm over Betta keeping. My pretty girl Spark was found unexpectedly deceased. This topic is not to discuss what happened with her (meaning troubleshooting), trust me I did this already. 

What I am here to say is that I'm totally over Betta keeping. With the exception of 1, they never live long enough to justify my attachment to them. The complete irony of this sad event is that I just got her a 4.12 gallon cube from Aquatop and was going to set it up on the very day I found her. 😔

That aside, now what?! Unfortunately I've had no luck with shrimp so that's out for me. Tank has driftwood, a shelter, java, anubias, a small collection of red root floaters and subwassertang. It's not running as hot as all my other tanks do (right now it's only hitting 70 which is weird since the tank right next to it is at 78). So I'll likely get a small heater to bring it up some. Spark's Nerite, Curlyque and her bladder snail friends are settling into the new tank. 

Somebody give me ideas! Please. 🙂 

Resized_20210920_175409.jpg

Same here.

Got a Red Honey Gourami.  Looking nice already.  Very active, still getting used to new tank.  But already much happier with him over the Betta.  Great with my other fish, sometimes see him hanging with the other Platy.

Edited by Waka88
  • Thanks 2

@Waka88 that was definitely an option for me BUT INSTEAD of doing just a single centerpiece fish I decided centerpiece GROUPS are the direction I'm going. Today I got my very, very long awaited centerpiece Hillstream loaches (ok they're bottom not center but kind of what I've wanted to keep all along in my "Angry Man" tank) and for my Flex I got 4 male Endlers. Funnily enough I got my group of CPDs for the Aquatop here and while the gal at the LFS was catching my Hillstreams I got a bonus CPD they let me have. (only Endlers pictured below, well, sorta)

Resized_20211011_144438.jpg

• Like 5