Fish that can tolerate move

Oreganoodle

My ideal fish tank location is also where we keep the Christmas tree. I'll need to move the tank once a year to a less ideal location. I know to empty the tank all the way, to not change too much of the water, etc. Is also like to know what breeds are tolerant of being moved like this once a year.

• Administrators

What size tank? Moving tanks can be a hassle (coming from someone that used to move tanks as a business). Also, keep in mind that every time that you move a tank, you are risking something happening (even if it is a small percentage), and you also could potentially lessen the lifespan of the tank if it is stressed at all during the move (silicone, tank stand, etc.).

With that being said, most fish species will tolerate a move just fine, especially if they are returning to the same tank in a short amount of time. Your hardscape and plants may be impacted though, depending on what you setup. 

It may be easier to negotiate a new location for the tree. 😁

If you are set on the location being shared by the tank and the tree, maybe wait until January to set it up. 

Good luck!

I whole heartedly agree with Zenzo. 

If you're still set on setting something up, make it a nano tank, something like a Fluval SpecV so that you can drain down the tank without having to remove everything and then move the tank. Set it up simple with plants and a Betta and leave it at that. But, the best option would be to either find a new place for the tree or the tank.

• Like 1

If your set on doing the move once a year I would suggest for a tank 60G or more African cichlids mbuna or peacocks with a couple bristlenose both IME tolerate moves well. And hardscape generally simple and it would shake up the pecking order to help with aggression.
And for tanks 55G or less maybe some kind of live bearer guppies or platy. again could be a simple planted tank and let the movement of the ever expanding shoal be the focal point.

Or do a small (30g or less) tank and put it on a stand with wheels.

When we were putting new floor in our dining area, I had a 10g tank on a four-legged stand that we had to scoot around. I just put cardboard under the feet and dragged it very slowly. I didn’t even lower the water level. 😅

This idea will work a lot better if you have hard floors. Though some nice skids might let you scoot a tank on carpet.

• Administrators
On 9/21/2021 at 7:56 AM, Hobbit said:

Or do a small (30g or less) tank and put it on a stand with wheels.

When we were putting new floor in our dining area, I had a 10g tank on a four-legged stand that we had to scoot around. I just put cardboard under the feet and dragged it very slowly. I didn’t even lower the water level. 😅

This idea will work a lot better if you have hard floors. Though some nice skids might let you scoot a tank on carpet.

It better be a strong stand with extra robust casters if the tank is 30 gallons! That's 300 pounds of water and glass rolling around! 😆💧

It's a 34 gallon tank. The tree location is non-negotiable b/c it is the only place in the living room that is tall enough for a tree (the cons of living in a triangle shaped house). That said we picked a new fish tank location last night after the very good point of Zenzo's that every move is a risk.  I'm not sure I want to lose 34 gallons of fish and water on my white carpet the month before christmas - so I'm glad you encouraged a rethink on that one.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, Zenzo said:

It better be a strong stand with extra robust casters if the tank is 30 gallons! That's 300 pounds of water and glass rolling around! 😆💧

Well I figured if it was that big, you’d drain it a bunch before trying to move it! 😆

But still, I think choosing a different tank location was the right choice.

• Like 1