full freshwater Pufferfish for 30 to 40 gallon long tank

RockoB

'Bigger' is a relative term, but in the case of this tank your best bet would be species only from the following:

• Dwarf Puffers/Pea Puffers (you could get a group of them, but they will top out around 1.5" for most)
  • South American Puffers (I wouldn't go more than a school of 5 and that's pushing it in a 40B)
  • Hairy Puffer (would go only with a solo one, not the most active and not always have the stereotypical puffer personality)
  • Target Puffer (there is a handful of species that go by this name, I would only recommend going solo still, a bit more personality since they are not all ambush species)

I'm sure there area few more, but I don't have the experience on those in tanks smaller and 75 gallons, so I wouldn't recommend them. Others who have kept them might have better information on them in medium aquaria. I've also not included some of the smaller varieties that are not common. The one I've intentionally left out of the list is the Emerald Puffer AKA Avocado Puffer as IME these guys are nasty and were not great when I needed to get my hand in the tank to clean and do other maintenance. 

Edited by Tihshho
  • Like 2

If you have the budget I’d go for a Spotted Congo Puffer in a 40 breeder. I’d like one but the $300+ price is a little high. 

@Keeg is lucky enough to own one. 

If your budget is a bit lower maybe a Hairy puffer. If you haven’t seen one in person they look super cool. They’re like a little dog when they surf the glass begging for food. 

• Thanks 1

Spotted Congo puffer will do just fine in a 40 g breeder. For 150 I would be skeptical if it were captive bred or wild caught. In either case, I would treat for internal parasites. But beware they are definitely not "friendly" like what most of the internet claims. And they need lots of attention compared to most fish. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 7:04 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Aren't green spotted puffers brackish into marine as they mature? They're looking for full freshwater. 🙂 

They can be slowly turned over to marine but it's more common practice to keep them in brackish. Definitely not freshwater though. I think he was just trying to say that he keeps 3 puffers with the same approximate size in a 40, so that he could get more. I believe Dean's Fishroom keeps 3 spotted Congo's in a 40 as well, but I find that a single one thrives just as well in a 40

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, Patrick_G said:

@Keeg, how big is your CSP? Would you go any lower than a 40 for a single? 

Currently he's like 4 and a half ish inches. I got him as a juvenile and kept him in a 20 tall for about 2 years, until he started wanting more space. So that's why he's in a 40 now. I wouldn't recommend keeping a single one in anything smaller because it was pretty stressful for him to be moved to a whole new set up. It can definitely be done short term, but eventually they'll need more room. 

• Thanks 1