First Planted Aquarium add Snails before fish

p3l4a7n4ts

I've had my first planted tank setup for 3 weeks now. And was thinking about adding some nerite snails. Water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates. PH 7.8 and I have very hard water. Would this be a good thing? How many? Do you have any other snails to suggest? I will be adding fish after vacation which is in the first part of October. What do I need to do for snail while I'm gone a week?  Thanks

Nerites should be good, they like their ph at 7.5 but 7.8 shouldn't be that big of deal. If you're leaving, maybe get the snails after you return. But if you got algae, they'll eat that. For other snails, I personally like rams horns but other people can find that they can be a nuisance and pest. I dont see how big your tank is so I can't give you a definite answer. But I always like to start with one and see where that goes 

I’m a fan of most snails, and I think you’re on the right track with Nerites, especially if you want to come home to an algae free tank. These guys love to chomp on the green stuff! As a bonus they come in different shell patterns and they just look cool! Make sure your tank is growing algae and they’ll should do fine while you’re gone. 

Nerites are hard to supplemental feed. I only keep one in a 29 gallon. I do not grow hardly any algae just diatoms because of my source water so I don’t add more. So start with one. If you still have a lot of algae especially on glass add a second and so on.  This way you do not have to worry they will starve. Here is an example Nemo my nerite ate this in 15 minutes off the back glass at the bottom. I never clean my glass except front panel occasionally as it is his food source. 

5DA30AF3-BFDD-43A3-9083-6D99ABA0DC2F.jpeg