Dosing easy carbon to kill bba

Leo2o915

I’m using seachem excel also. (Switching to Easy Carbon when the excel is gone) I usually dose at daily level if I start to see bba, but only once in a while, not everyday.  If there’s some particularly stubborn bba I’ll do like @Colu suggested and spot dose with a syringe. I also remove any leaves that seem like they might be particularly prone to getting the algae and reduce light by one hour. 

Edited by Patrick_G

On 9/14/2021 at 12:38 AM, Leo2o915 said:

How often should i dose it ? It’s a 40 breeder 

Where is the BBA plaguing the tank? Is it on decor, the glass or the substrate? If it's on something you can easily remove pulling it and dosing it directly with an eye dropper gives the best results without upsetting the balance in the tank. The other option is to treat that area with Hydrogen Peroxide with a dropper or a spray bottle nozzle. If it's on the glass, and the tank is glass and not acrylic, scrape it off with a razor while you have a siphon running to get it out. If it's on the substrate you can pull that layer of substrate and soak it in some H2O2, liberally dose it with Excel, or bleach. 

I used to use the Excel method in planted tanks and cut back on it once I had so much of it that it was hard to spot treat without gassing out the tank inhabitants. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, Leo2o915 said:

So how much light should I leave it on for ? I also have two Siamese algae eater in my other tank is that can move ? 

for a week or two, i would run the light for only a short time a day. couple hours max. in my experience young siamese algae eaters may nibble on it, but grown ones dont seem to touch it.