Amazon Frogbit Help

Stef

I currently have 4 tanks with frogbit that are going gangbusters. I’m giving it away to my lfs because its growing faster than I can keep up with. But in my 10 gallon, it’s starting to melt and turn brown. I just added a pump of easy carbon about 4 days ago to combat dust and hair algae in the same tank. Could that be it?  I have Easy Green but don’t use it regularly because I feel I’m just feeding the algae. Light is an Aqueon planted light. It’s very bright but on a timer for 10 hrs.  Water parameters today were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. Pics are also from today during a water change. 

Tank occupants are a betta and clean up crew (1 oto, 3 panda corys, 3 bn plecos, and a nerite snail)

5D71EE3A-EF5B-4095-B50F-451DB538B871.jpeg

C7C40C51-EE1F-4D53-9C35-B51932E3C5F6.jpeg

F60C2B90-A5A0-4F56-912E-F44E93B8C538.jpeg

On 9/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, Tihshho said:

Depending on the size of the BN's they could be rasping the undersides of the leaves which is causing the damage.

Hmm, I did not know that. The BN's were added recently. They're little, about an inch. They have a piece of wood and a coconut hut. Thanks for the response.

If it’s the Aqueon clip on light put black electrical tape over the blue lights. I never have algae issues with other non blue lights. I did real bad in a qt tank with the clip ons from Aqueon until I did this. The algae went away after. Hope that helps even though it does not apply to your frogbit. Everything eats mine or I end up killing it so I can’t help there. 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

If it’s the Aqueon clip on light put black electrical tape over the blue lights. I never have algae issues with other non blue lights. I did real bad in a qt tank with the clip ons from Aqueon until I did this. The algae went away after. Hope that helps even though it does not apply to your frogbit. Everything eats mine or I end up killing it so I can’t help there. 

I will try the tape trick!! Thx

I find my ramshorn snails like to eat the roots of my floaters. I have frogbit indoors in each fish tank and it stays small. I have some under a plant light in a tub and also outside in more tubs and it gets enormous with very long roots. When I move the outside ones inside, the roots disappear pretty quickly and the plants get smaller and smaller. I often find a ramshorn snail on the bottom of the frogbit so I'm assuming they're what eats the roots. (Though it could be my bristlenose plecos also.)

I have been adding 3/4 cap of seachem excel to about 40 gallons every day for a couple weeks and frogbit has been fine.  I get a few leaves here and there that yellow but i think its more because they get stuck in a spot without light or under other leaves.  I do not have a BN and have never seen the leaves melt to the veins like your top pic.

On 9/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, Stef said:

I currently have 4 tanks with frogbit that are going gangbusters. I’m giving it away to my lfs because its growing faster than I can keep up with. But in my 10 gallon, it’s starting to melt and turn brown. I just added a pump of easy carbon about 4 days ago to combat dust and hair algae in the same tank. Could that be it?  I have Easy Green but don’t use it regularly because I feel I’m just feeding the algae. Light is an Aqueon planted light. It’s very bright but on a timer for 10 hrs.  Water parameters today were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20. Pics are also from today during a water change. 

Tank occupants are a betta and clean up crew (1 oto, 3 panda corys, 3 bn plecos, and a nerite snail)

5D71EE3A-EF5B-4095-B50F-451DB538B871.jpeg

C7C40C51-EE1F-4D53-9C35-B51932E3C5F6.jpeg

F60C2B90-A5A0-4F56-912E-F44E93B8C538.jpeg

Those look to me like they need more fertilizer.