Cleaning a sponge filter in which baby cherry shrimp reside: Can it be done without killing the babies?

Flytrap

Hi Everyone,

I responded to the post a few days ago on whether a sponge filter could suck up fry.  I wrote that I have 3 medium sized Aquarium Co-op sponge filters now with the USB nano pumps, 1 for each,  and the cherry shrimp have been breeding regularly.  The babies have not been sucked in and can be seen moving around the outside going in.   I don't really have an idea on how many could be in each filter but I also see many babies in the tank in the Java Moss on the spider wood and throughout the plants in the tank.   I mention this because it would not be a total loss of babies if I couldn't save them but I am hoping someone has an idea on how to save the babies that are in the filters.  They are due to be cleaned, at least one anyway.   So far I've used the method demonstrated by @Cory. That is before there were shrimp babies.   @Odd Duck sounds like you're experienced with baby shrimp and these filters.   Any thoughts by you and any who have experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pull the filter from the tank slowly and work your fingers around it. This will generally scare the babies away from hanging on the filter. If you want to be extra careful, have two containers to clean the sponge; one to dip it in just incase there are babies and they will let go, and another to move the sponge to and actually clean. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Tihshho and @lefty o for your thoughts.  This was pretty much what I was ready to try so I have the white buckets and smaller white pails ready.   I have also set up a 10 gallon nursery/quarantine tank so hopefully I will get a nice shrimp population going there. Now I've just watched the you tube presentation by @Cory on the AC powerhead which could change everything if I try it out. 🤣.   My main tank is 30 x 20 x 18 high.  The nano usb pumps are great but the new AC powerhead would help with more flow and picking up more waste attached to a sponge filter

Anyway,   Thanks again.

What are you plans for the nursery? IME moving newly hatched shrimp, or moving pregnant females is always risky at either losing lots of babies or losing the female. If you're looking for a lot of shrimp, a shrimp only tank is the way to go. Nothing to prey on the babies and because you're only feeding the shrimp the bioload drops drastically leaving good quality water. 

• Like 2

Thanks again for your thoughts.  Generally I drip acclimate when moving shrimp and will do the same but I am glad you reminded me of moving a pregnant female could be risky.  I do have plenty of juveniles now that would probably work.  As to Cherry shrimp in the main community tank,  that's one of the things I love about them, seeing them going to work in the Java Moss and knowing they help the water and aren't considered much of an addition to the bio load.  The challenge of having them survive with other larger "diners" is also fun to observe.

You might be able to help with one more issue re: drip acclimation.  I know that shrimp are sensitive to temperature changes along with abrupt changes in ph.  The room temperature is pretty close to the tank but if it's drip acclimating for one to 2 hours, there could be a 2-3 degree difference.  Is that too much or do you know how much of a difference creates a problem?

Best,

FT

IMO I don't see the point in moving baby shrimp. I've got tanks producing non stop and the key to it besides food and water quality is for them just to not have fish tank mates. If you want to produce more, stay shrimp only. Once you have females hatching eggs daily, the bear of netting babies, then dripping them and hoping for them to survive is just too much effort.

I have hang on the back filters with intake filters on my shrimp tanks.  When I clean the intake filters I shake them out several times in a bowl of the aquarium water to dislodge the baby shrimp.  I think this should work as well with your sponge filters

Hi and Thanks for your post.  I got and appreciate your humor and am quite glad to get your thoughts on this.   Honestly, I'm not quite sure if cleaning the sponge is in fact needed.   This tank will only have been set up for 2 months starting next week.  The sponge filters certainly look clean enough but before there were shrimp babies I did wring out a lot of fish ****.  Sorry just don't remember the rules re: language.  I absolutely love that the shrimp are taking up residence there along with the snails, Otocinclus and platies at this point doing the same thing it looks like yours are.  The one difference though is this is all I have. No Hob filter.  At this point this is all I want to put in.   I know that must sound crazy but there's a reason for it.  So far I think the inhabitants I have are doing fine.  One of the platies is pregnant and the cherry shrimp are reproducing like I've never seen before.   Any thoughts by you on my new information on this post are appreciated.

Thanks.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, Flytrap said:

Hi and Thanks for your post.  I got and appreciate your humor and am quite glad to get your thoughts on this.   Honestly, I'm not quite sure if cleaning the sponge is in fact needed.   This tank will only have been set up for 2 months starting next week.  The sponge filters certainly look clean enough but before there were shrimp babies I did wring out a lot of fish ****.  Sorry just don't remember the rules re: language.  I absolutely love that the shrimp are taking up residence there along with the snails, Otocinclus and platies at this point doing the same thing it looks like yours are.  The one difference though is this is all I have. No Hob filter.  At this point this is all I want to put in.   I know that must sound crazy but there's a reason for it.  So far I think the inhabitants I have are doing fine.  One of the platies is pregnant and the cherry shrimp are reproducing like I've never seen before.   Any thoughts by you on my new information on this post are appreciated.

Thanks.

I rarely clean my AOC sponge filters unless they get algae or moss covered (no shrimp) and I have to remove the growth.  I do have to clean prefilters every couple months, especially on my “dirtiest” tanks like my 75 that has big plecos and big Jack Dempseys.

The sponge filters and prefilters in shrimp tanks haven’t gotten clogged or algae covered if there’s enough shrimp in there.  I also haven’t had shrimp tanks for that long (about 6 months is all) but what I’ve seen matches what others have said. 

• Like 1