Target humidity level

Jimmy

Just started getting my aquariums filled. I intend on installing the heater for the room today. I have my exhaust set to kick on when it gets too hot in the room currently but I thought about putting it just on a timer to kick on for short increments throughout the day.

my question is what’s a target humidity level? Currently our ambient humidity is 55%~ where I live.

B7A5EE57-9D4C-4028-B41F-F47FE0A2D733.jpeg

in a dedicated fish room where you arent concerned about things rusting etc, id try and keep it under 65%. ideal comfort for a person is about 45%, but since you arent living in the room, a little higher is okay. just dont want it so wet that you start growing mold in the room.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, lefty o said:

in a dedicated fish room where you arent concerned about things rusting etc, id try and keep it under 65%. ideal comfort for a person is about 45%, but since you arent living in the room, a little higher is okay. just dont want it so wet that you start growing mold in the room.

Your my fish room coach lol. I originally wanted to aim for 45 but I don’t know if it will be obtainable. 

I've got my humidifiers set on constant just to pull as much of the humidity out as I can and it keeps the fish room at around 40% during the summer and 30-35% in the winter. Do yourself a favor and get an evac pump that has a float switch so you don't have to maintain the dehumidifiers by draining their collection reservoir. That or plumb them to a drain if you can raise the unit high enough so gravity is your friend and gets the effluent into your drain.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, Tihshho said:

I've got my humidifiers set on constant just to pull as much of the humidity out as I can and it keeps the fish room at around 40% during the summer and 30-35% in the winter. Do yourself a favor and get an evac pump that has a float switch so you don't have to maintain the dehumidifiers by draining their collection reservoir. That or plumb them to a drain if you can raise the unit high enough so gravity is your friend and gets the effluent into your drain.

I plan on fixing a drain to it, it’s not a huge unit so I have to develop a plan before I cut into it

On 9/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, lefty o said:

45 would be nice, but your dehumidifier, and exhaust fan would be running non stop.

We will see. I may mess around with the exhaust more. I will see how my utility bill looks and if it’s manageable I may just run the exhaust on the heavier side 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, Atitagain said:

Glad to see this thread i just have a small table top dehumidifier it fills about every 4-5 days and I just got a hygrometer and I’m running at 55%  Was worried that was a little high. Only have about 100 square feet.

I have about half the square footage. It’s rather humid for my area right now, the room is holding at 60. It stayed about the same after leaving the exhaust on for 5 hours. I suspect mine will drop considerably in the winter