Scratching fish

Zoidar

Got some problem with green neons and corys scratching and sometimes swim around like crazy. Water parameters are good. I think it might be flukes, but don't know. I see no visable signs on them and they seem healthy otherwise, good appetite etc. It's been like this for quite some time and since it's got worse I got to do something about it. I also got cherry shrimps in the tank, so what could I use (or do) that don't kill the shrimps?

I'm still a beginner in the hobby, so be kind. 🙂

Edited by Zoidar

On 8/25/2021 at 5:20 PM, Zoidar said:

Got some problem with green neons and corys scratching and sometimes swim around like crazy. Water parameters are good. I think it might be flukes, but don't know. I see no visable signs on them and they seem healthy otherwise, good appetite etc. It's been like this for quite some time and since it's got worse I got to do something about it. I also got cherry shrimps in the tank, so what could I use (or do) that don't kill the shrimps?

I'm still a beginner in the hobby, so be kind. 🙂

Almost everyone here is super kind 😁

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 6:16 AM, Zoidar said:

Since I got corys I'm a bit afraid of using salt.

I would use @Colu recommendation using vitachem (fish vitamins) vs salt water as that is an option listed corys are very salt option sensitive I used to have albino now I have panda and Pygmy. My niece had albino and used salt dip ..it did not go well..immediate negative affect. I was not there so I can only assume she did it correctly but there is tons of info on not using salt with corys…I am by no means an expert just what I read and what my niece said (epsom salt is not actually salt it’s magnesium)

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

I cleanded the filters yesterday. It's been a while. The water came out really dark. Today the fishes look more lively. Maybe this was the reason for the scratching? We will see if it fixed the problem.

Edited by Zoidar

• 3 weeks later...

I have no longer problem with scratching. I put garlic cloves in the tank before, that might be the reason of the scratching or maybe it was just the filters that needed a real cleaning. Either way I have stopped with putting garlic in the tank. 

Edited by Zoidar