Linear piston air pump

Jimmy

Dean was doing the air valves in one of Cory's videos setting up the fish room. Another YouTuber selling fish put out a video of him setting up his air valves for his new warehouse recently as well. 

On the condensation, this is possible, especially if the air cools back off after the pump. The only way to 100% mitigate this will be to mount your pump above the loop. However, if you have the pump inlet come into the top of the loop through 2 90s, then you will greatly reduce this risk. You can also make a loop below the pump inlet with a drain valve of you are worried about it and blow it clear occasionally. 

Cory's pumps are on the floor in his new fish room. I don't use one myself, but if he's not overly worried about it, probably not a huge concern. 

On 8/25/2021 at 7:46 PM, ChemBob said:

Dean was doing the air valves in one of Cory's videos setting up the fish room. Another YouTuber selling fish put out a video of him setting up his air valves for his new warehouse recently as well. 

On the condensation, this is possible, especially if the air cools back off after the pump. The only way to 100% mitigate this will be to mount your pump above the loop. However, if you have the pump inlet come into the top of the loop through 2 90s, then you will greatly reduce this risk. You can also make a loop below the pump inlet with a drain valve of you are worried about it and blow it clear occasionally. 

Cory's pumps are on the floor in his new fish room. I don't use one myself, but if he's not overly worried about it, probably not a huge concern. 

A loop below the inlet is rather genius. I could put it up high but honestly room is so small there’s no great place. Could you possibly just do a ball valve and periodically open it?

On 8/25/2021 at 11:30 PM, TankofFish said:

Just asking but would it be better to use flexible tubing so you dont have to use  90 degree elbows. I'm sure the $$ would be more but might be more efficient. I'm not sure so I just wanted to ask.

Not certain I haven’t seen anyone do that to my knowledge but I think you don’t have to treat air like you would water. I believe the cavity just gets filled with air pressure and to me I would think it flows freely. Don’t quote me LOL. I will have maybe 6 90 degree elbows I can’t see it being a problem.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:24 PM, Jimmy said:

Could you possibly just do a ball valve and periodically open it?

Yes, that would work. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:13 AM, Jimmy said:

I believe the cavity just gets filled with air pressure and to me I would think it flows freely.

This is very close. Air pressure will build in the cavity, then flow to the closest opening. However, in the case of a loop, you will have flow from your pressure source (air compresser) to the farthest outlet on either side of the loop. You'll probably have a dead section on the far end of the pipe, as you would in a liquid system. The reality is that the flows of gas vs liquid system will be similar, but the startup and shutdown willbe different. Also, pipe failure of gas is typically quite a bit more spectacular than liquid, as the stored energy in compressed gas is orders of magnitude higher than liquids, as liquids are mostly non compressible.