Linear piston air pump

Jimmy

On 8/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, Ken Burke said:

The air u pump will be the temperature in ur garage.  If it’s in the garage.

My room is a 7x7 framed inside my garage so garbage will get ice cold. The pump is sweet but in this small of a foot print it’s more noise than I want. I can live with it but I’m exploring my options 

Not sure to what extent but the air pump inherently gives off heat.  Curious to know how much, if at all, it will increase the incoming air from the garage to the fish room to the tanks.  That being said, if you run a circular pvc loop in the fish room the pvc will also be at the same temp as the insulated fish room.

all this to say I think you should run some experiments and share your results 😆 👍⚗️🔬🧪🌡

• Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 10:51 AM, Randy said:

Not sure to what extent but the air pump inherently gives off heat.  Curious to know how much, if at all, it will increase the incoming air from the garage to the fish room to the tanks.  That being said, if you run a circular pvc loop in the fish room the pvc will also be at the same temp as the insulated fish room.

all this to say I think you should run some experiments and share your results 😆 👍⚗️🔬🧪🌡

I’m also curious too Randy. I bet the temperature difference will be negligible and it makes sense that the pvc will also buffer the incoming temp slightly.

the room being so small I’ve got several things in place to manage the temperature and humidity and it won’t be hard to heat up. I have the exhaust and heater on controllers. I haven’t landed on a dehumidifier yet for the small space.

looking forward to Peru content! 

On 8/22/2021 at 10:51 AM, Randy said:

If you ever swing by Puyallup area come check out the room some day 

On 8/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

I'm curious if the oxygen content improves in your tanks on very cold days. Cold air should be more oxygen saturated than warm house air in theory. I wonder if that likely slight temperature drop and  increased oxygen could trigger spawning in some species

I’m not too concerned about the o2 level but it’s still a good thing to ponder. I will get my tanks with a considerable amount of air 

On 8/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, Jimmy said:

My room is a 7x7 framed inside my garage so garbage will get ice cold. The pump is sweet but in this small of a foot print it’s more noise than I want. I can live with it but I’m exploring my options 

Not sure how much noise a linear piston makes.  But a few handy options.  1. Put it in a cabinet (lined w sound dampening something, or 2 build a cabinet on the outside wall, and cycle air from the fish room thru it

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, Ken Burke said:

Not sure how much noise a linear piston makes.  But a few handy options.  1. Put it in a cabinet (lined w sound dampening something, or 2 build a cabinet on the outside wall, and cycle air from the fish room thru it

It’s minimal as advertised but again small space LOL. I will have to look into that not sure if you can box it up in that fashion

On 8/22/2021 at 1:05 PM, Jimmy said:

It’s minimal as advertised but again small space LOL

So, I just put one of these in for my rack of tanks, which you can see here.  The room is small, 10x10 about.  I have it sitting on way, way too much foam, but otherwise have done nothing to it to dampen the sound it makes.  The pump is quieter than the bubbles coming out of the devices in the tanks.  I needed to blow off extra air at this point (once I expand a few more thanks and also put in by MBBR in another room it should be better off), and so I added a muffler which is handy.  Otherwise, I suspect you could put it right in that room and no regret it.  My 2¢

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, I just put one of these in for my rack of tanks, which you can see here.  The room is small, 10x10 about.  I have it sitting on way, way too much foam, but otherwise have done nothing to it to dampen the sound it makes.  The pump is quieter than the bubbles coming out of the devices in the tanks.  I needed to blow off extra air at this point (once I expand a few more thanks and also put in by MBBR in another room it should be better off), and so I added a muffler which is handy.  Otherwise, I suspect you could put it right in that room and no regret it.  My 2¢

I appreciate the feedback. I suspect it’s gonna be loud in the room no matter what. I don’t mind but the little ones have sensitive ears. I also wonder if the pump can handle being turned on and off regular. I thought about putting it on a wifi plug and just killing it whenever I want when I’m in the room

Maybe try it in the room, but leave a T and valve in the line where you'd want to run the pipe or hose to the potential exterior location. Add a valve at the inside location as well. That way you can swap it to outside the room if you want to later. 

Can't remember where you are located, but i'd be much more worried about summer than winter with the air pump outside the room. Granted, I'm in South Louisiana, so our winters can be like some northern summers. 

• Like 1

i like the put it in a box idea. make a small box out of dry wall, scrap wood, or the pink foam you insulated the walls with. drill a bunch of small air holes on the side of the box so it does get some air flow to prevent over heating it, but that should still dampen a good portion of the noise in the room.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, ChemBob said:

Maybe try it in the room, but leave a T and valve in the line where you'd want to run the pipe or hose to the potential exterior location. Add a valve at the inside location as well. That way you can swap it to outside the room if you want to later. 

Can't remember where you are located, but i'd be much more worried about summer than winter with the air pump outside the room. Granted, I'm in South Louisiana, so our winters can be like some northern summers. 

Pacific north west, maybe high 80s on hot weeks

On 8/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I overlooked the link before I will check it out later today thanks for the feedback 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 9:42 PM, s1_ said:

I think you will be good without, what size PVC are you building the loop out of? These pumps are silent once plumbed.

It’s obviously not loud I’ve heard actually loud pumps before. The bubbles in a small place will be but as a hobbyist it’s heaven to my ears. Glad to know the loop dampens it.

I have no idea what size pvc yet. I only know I will be tacking it on the top of the wall behind

On 8/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, lefty o said:

i like the put it in a box idea. make a small box out of dry wall, scrap wood, or the pink foam you insulated the walls with. drill a bunch of small air holes on the side of the box so it does get some air flow to prevent over heating it, but that should still dampen a good portion of the noise in the room.

I didn’t see this response. I’m going to try to just let it hang out initially. I’m going to run the room wet before I add inhabitants so I will be able to make adjustments 

I have mine in the corner of the room near the ceiling and I can’t hear it at all.  Not over the bubbling of the 15 sponge filters which is very low.  If I can’t see the bubbles I. The tank I would swear it wasn’t running that’s how quiet it is.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, ARMYVET said:

I have mine in the corner of the room near the ceiling and I can’t hear it at all.  Not over the bubbling of the 15 sponge filters which is very low.  If I can’t see the bubbles I. The tank I would swear it wasn’t running that’s how quiet it is.

Ok cool. I’m really going to crank the air up I bet the pump will be the least of my worries. I don’t have anywhere convenient to put it. I might put some thought into installing it on the exterior of the room. 
side note im panicking that I will get bored with ONLY 27 aquariums lol.