Community GBR's

Dakota

Just moving the discussion from 1 inch per gallon thread.

Keeping GBR's with neon tetras in a 65 gallon tank Moderately planted @ 82 degrees.
Last post was someone keeping neons in a warm tank without any issues.

Im looking for any long term effects and possible negative out comes with keeping a community tank with neons and GBR's.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, Dakota said:

Just moving the discussion from 1 inch per gallon thread.

Keeping GBR's with neon tetras in a 65 gallon tank Moderately planted @ 82 degrees.
Last post was someone keeping neons in a warm tank without any issues.

Im looking for any long term effects and possible negative out comes with keeping a community tank with neons and GBR's.

To continue she still has her neons and they are still healthy and active total time in tank apps 2-2 1/2 years. No health issues or behavioral issues. They do spawn. 😁

Edited by Guppysnail

Generally speaking cardinals are often kept with rams due to warmer temps. I had a debate with someone about neon; neon can of course tolerate the higher temp and some neon come from native region with warmer temps (though our captive bred vairiant are normally kept cooler).

there is a general rule that for all fishes kept warmer they will live not as long but generally be healthier (more active immune system) within tolerance for the species. Sadly while it is true they don't live as long we rarely see it quantified so it is unclear if life expectancy is shortened by minute; days... or years.... 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 12:48 PM, anewbie said:

Generally speaking cardinals are often kept with rams due to warmer temps. I had a debate with someone about neon; neon can of course tolerate the higher temp and some neon come from native region with warmer temps (though our captive bred vairiant are normally kept cooler).

there is a general rule that for all fishes kept warmer they will live not as long but generally be healthier (more active immune system) within tolerance for the species. Sadly while it is true they don't live as long we rarely see it quantified so it is unclear if life expectancy is shortened by minute; days... or years.... 

interesting, I will have a go and see how they do. Ive had several of my 30 neons for going on 3 years now and they will be the first to go i would believe

Will have to watch them from now on and see how they react