PH problems with my new tank

CityChickGoneCountry

I haven't kept fish for a few years now.  I'm having an issue with my PH being too high.  My KH and GH are good, but my PH is off the chart!  I did a water change yesterday and I did one today too cause my KH went up too.  I think cause I used a bunch of that PH down stuff.  Well, PH down did NOT work for me..I put like 30 drops in over many hours and my PH is the same.  This change I used RO water My filter isn't that old.  I saw the review on this tank by co-op and will be changing out my filter to more substrate.  I have 4 guppies, two shrimp and a snail in my planted 5 gallon aquarium.  I'm starting to think the PH tester is wrong.  Oh, and I don't like the tester strips.  They are way different than what the kit says.  P.S.  I tried to get the picture to sit up straight... No bueno!

Tanks Testing.JPG

Edited by CityChickGoneCountry

The general advice is that do not chase pH, and definitely do not use pH modifying products, they can create more issues. The best thing you can do is acclimate your fish to your water. You have around 7.6-7.8pH right? That's pretty alright to be honest, I have that exact pH and all my fish thrive, tetras, livebearers, monsters like oscar and green terror, cories, even bettas.

Chasing pH will result in headaches! I'd say 99/9% of fish can live pretty great in your pH. The important thing is consistency and minerals in the water that will buffer your pH (make it resistant to big swings) and help your fish's health.

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HenryC said:

The general advice is that do not chase pH, and definitely do not use pH modifying products, they can create more issues. The best thing you can do is acclimate your fish to your water. You have around 7.6-7.8pH right? That's pretty alright to be honest, I have that exact pH and all my fish thrive, tetras, livebearers, monsters like oscar and green terror, cories, even bettas.

Chasing pH will result in headaches! I'd say 99/9% of fish can live pretty great in your pH. The important thing is consistency and minerals in the water that will buffer your pH (make it resistant to big swings) and help your fish's health.

The ph could be 7,8, but since the scale doesn't go any higher, the ph could be even higher, I'm not sure.