Tank Size for Congo Puffer

Hi I have a question I have a 40 breeder with a congo puffer and 3 panda garas. And their doing great. Im in college so moving a 40 gallon tank every semester can be a chore so what I was going to ask was could a congo puffer live solo in a 20 long ? If not that is perfectly fine I was just wondering. The other thing is could he or she live comfortably without overstocking and live happy and not stunt growth.

2 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hi I have a question I have a 40 breeder with a congo puffer and 3 panda garas. And their doing great. Im in college so moving a 40 gallon tank every semester can be a chore so what I was going to ask was could a congo puffer live solo in a 20 long ? If not that is perfectly fine I was just wondering. The other thing is could he or she live comfortably without overstocking and live happy and not stunt growth.

As Congo puffer only get 6in I think they will be fine in 40 I think a 20 would be a bit small for them

Now before you yell at me I have a 40 breeder with the Congo puffer in it currently im a college student so move the tank every semester pretty much. What I was wondering was that could a solo spotted Congo puffer grow live happy, not stunt growth, and not overstock the tank. I would just be easier to move.  If not that is ok just had a thought any input would be great.

7 hours ago, Colu said:

As Congo puffer only get 6in I think they will be fine in 40 I think a 20 would be a bit small for them

8 hours ago, BIG GREEN said:

....the 40 you have is to small. I would go no smaller than a 55

8 hours ago, BIG GREEN said:

thats just me though. If he is doing fine in the 40 I would stay with it...

• 3 months later...

Hi yall so I have a question I have a spotted congo puffer. I would like to take her to college with me she can she live happily and healthy and grow to max size. I think think she is close to full size now. It would be only her I am only aloud ten gallons in my apartment. It is a waterbox cube 10 gallon heavily planted and I'm diligent with water testing and changing water.

• Like 1

Hey there! I think it's a good idea to keep threads asking about stocking for your 10 gallon tank at college to one conversation. I know the moderators on this forum prefer to see less new threads started on the same topic by the same person.

That said, I really don't think a spotted congo puffer in a 10 gallon will work at all. The congo puffer needs at least 30 gallons to thrive, but I'd probably look at a 40 breeder minimum.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys so my friend has a question he has a spotted Congo puffer in a 14 gallon tank the dimensions are 15 x 15 x 15. He asked me my opinion on it.  I did reasearch and it seems to be ok since his puffer is full grown and a species only, but I want to see what you think and also if it helps his tank is heavily planted.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hey guys so my friend has a question he has a spotted Congo puffer in a 14 gallon tank the dimensions are 15 x 15 x 15. He asked me my opinion on it.  I did reasearch and it seems to be ok since his puffer is full grown and a species only, but I want to see what you think and also if it helps his tank is heavily planted.

Definitely a little small , I think puffer prefer long tanks over squares

• Like 1

I think 20 gallon would be better in the short term  a 40 gallons in the long term a 15-15-15 tank is  about 12 gallon not 15 gallon I wouldn't keep a spotted Congo puffer in it long term

Edited by Colu

Having just spent several weeks researching my own puffer purchase, I noticed the general puffer community has settled on 30 gallons as the minimum size for congo puffers. If I had to guess, a 30/40 breeder would provide an ideal minimum at 36" long. I know length is more important than width for SAP's, I'd be willing to bet the same is true for congo puffers. A cube just doesn't seem like it would provide enough open swim area for such intelligent fish.

https://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28653

There's a wealth of information on thepufferforum. It may be worth your while to research this specific situation there.

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 3

I have never kept puffers but 14 gallons seems a little small. And what is the max tank size that is allowed? Technically it might be fine but he would have to do water changes every other day and the fish probably wouldn't be to happy about it. How long has he had the fish for? And how long has it been since the puffer reached its maximum size? If he has kept it for over a year with it being the approximate 6 inches its supposed to be he should be fine for another 3 years. 

@Stephen ZawackiWhat is the max tank size that he is allowed to have?

If he continues to keep it in a 14 gallon he will probably have to do water changes every other day (if he doesn't already) to keep up with the bioload. 

The fish probably can survive in a 14 gallon. But it will not be as active or playful as it would be otherwise. 

How long has your friend had this fish for? And how long has it been since the puffer Became "full grown"? 

It seems like the fish would survive just not thrive in that situation. Perhaps you @Stephen Zawacki Could share how your own experience went with your friend. Since in an earlier thread you said that...

On 8/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

I have a question I have a spotted congo puffer. I would like to take her to college with me she can she live happily and healthy and grow to max size. I think think she is close to full size now. It would be only her I am only aloud ten gallons in my apartment. It is a waterbox cube 10 gallon heavily planted and I'm diligent with water testing and changing water.

So maybe you can share how you cared for your puffer while in college with your friend.