Is Goo gone sprayed on clay pots aquarium safe?

eddie462

I sprayed Goo Gone adhesive remover onto two terracotta pots to remove the labels. When I took the labels off, I felt the spray still on the pots. I washed the sprayed areas off and I didn’t feel it anymore. Could some of the spray be absorbed into the clay? I know that there are clay based aquarium substrates that absorb fertilizer. So is the same process possible in pots with other chemicals?

Yeah I probably wouldn't risk it, thankfully they're pretty cheap so a plant will do fine in them. I tried to think of some way I'd feel safe using them after something like that but it's not worth it. Usually a good loooong soak in plain water should get the majority of those stickers off. For stubborn glue, I'd let it dry completely then use some sand paper. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame

On 7/31/2021 at 9:34 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yeah I probably wouldn't risk it, thankfully they're pretty cheap so a plant will do fine in them. I tried to think of some way I'd feel safe using them after something like that but it's not worth it. Usually a good loooong soak in plain water should get the majority of those stickers off. For stubborn glue, I'd let it dry completely then used some sand paper. 

I should have just used rubbing alcohol since it gases off 

Depending on where the label is i will cut or break my clay pot cave hole so the label is the portion i remove and avoid the hassle completely. It may be worth soaking the pot in warm water first to loosen that adheasive on the label then trying to peel it off. Id also consider trying distilled white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to remove labels and then just rinse it after to get any remaining sticker residue off. 

• Like 1