KristinaC

10 gallon tank is 6 months old.

ph 6.7

amonia 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 0 (heavily planted)

Temp 78-80 

Our water is on the hard side.

Had 6 zebra danios lost 2, the 4 remaining had red gills and were gasping at the bottom. Betta appeared unaffected. I quarantined the danios and treated with aquarium salt (no dice), general cure (no dice) and finally prazipro (success!). I treat the main tank as well thinking it's gill flukes. Danios back to their crazy selves. Tonight I noticed two danios are laying on the bottom of the tank again. Betta appears sluggish but I'm not sure anymore as I keep staring at them. I do another dose of prazipro. I also have almond leaves in the tank. What do I do next? I have shrimp and snails in the tank too. I have ich-x on hand and Maracyn oxy. Regular maracyn on the way. Advice is much appreciated! 

FCA213F0-2BB5-49CA-ABC4-22FB2DA81DF8.jpeg

42A899EC-4A02-4CCE-B026-15C23BCF6E8B.jpeg

• Confused 1

Since you lost some zebra danios (which I am very sorry for you loss) I would do a 25% partial water change. 80 degrees may be too hot for zebra danios when prefer around 72. Normally when fish get red gills it’s from New Tank Syndrome or ph levels but yours seem okay. Did you know that your fish were sick? Hope your fish get better! ALSO WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! I love your tank btw!

I would do a 50% water change  add an extra air stone as there could be low levels of desolved oxygen that why ther gasping red gills is usually a sign of ammonia burn  is it possible you missed an ammonia spike

I’m not sure if this’ll be any help, but my zebra danios always become very sluggish when I medicate them with a mixture of melafix and API white spot cure - the white spot cure is the one that they react to, I believe, since I never see a behaviour change when I only put melafix in the tank. Maybe there’s an ingredient that they’re reacting badly to? Idk though, I’ve never seen anyone else discuss it. 

I added an air stone, helped temporarily. The red gills are gone but two keep looking sick. I did a water change as well and checked my levels everything looking good. I think it must be a missed ammonia spike or a parasite. They react well to prazipro. However I was away and had a pet sitter. Betta appears alright. 

Yes betta is totally fine! Eating and exploring. Hahah I love my betta. Never again with the danios, I was led astray by Pet Smart. My tank is too small for them. I would bring home a twenty gallon today, alas the husband definitely won't let me do more than one tank. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, Colu said:

I would do a 50% water change  add an extra air stone as there could be low levels of desolved oxygen that why ther gasping red gills is usually a sign of ammonia burn  is it possible you missed an ammonia spike

On 7/28/2021 at 8:13 AM, BrendaW said:

Your Betta looks fine.  How long have your had the Danios?  I bought five and only have two left.  Your Betta looks just like mine, even the blue fins growing from his body.

Same amount of time, bought them all 4 months ago.

I have two Danios in my 30g tank.  One in particular chases everyone.  I’m sure it will live forever!  My Betta is by himself.  He would probably be okay in the community tank without the Danio but I’m not going to take that chance. Good luck with them.  It’s probably from ammonia burn during shipping.  I was at my lfs once and they were unboxing the fish. The water was green and most fish were dead according to the lady that worked there. 

Oh man! I I didn't even think about shipping! Yeah that good point. One is a complete bully in mine too, I was quick to blame myself for it but maybe it's just their way. They do not mess with the betta, it's like they know. My betta is super gentle but definitely is the head fish in the tank.