API liquid test kits

Pekitivey

@Pekitivey, IME, the nitrate test can be tricky, if not used correctly.  I follow the instructions.  The nitrate bottle #2, is especially critical to be mixed properly for an accurate test result. 

Back when I purchased my original API test kit, I even tried various times of mixing and there is a difference in accuracy.  

Went back to the provided factory instructions and it seems to work the best.

Was curious, do you have a lot of aquariums to test?  Maybe there is a better way for you, I.E. test strips, etc.

6 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

@Pekitivey, IME, the nitrate test can be tricky, if not used correctly.  I follow the instructions.  The nitrate bottle #2, is especially critical to be mixed properly for an accurate test result. 

Back when I purchased my original API test kit, I even tried various times of mixing and there is a difference in accuracy.  

Went back to the provided factory instructions and it seems to work the best.

Was curious, do you have a lot of aquariums to test?  Maybe there is a better way for you, I.E. test strips, etc.

I guess that's true. Can't really guess with chemistry. And you've tested the times!!? That's actually s good idea. I think I'll heed the advice then! 

I have invested in test strips as I have three tanks going now. Put they read in different units to the PPM that I'm used to! LOL. I guess the fun is in the learning

IMG_20200922_190327.jpg

IMG_20200922_190314.jpg

I use the Tetra EasyStrips 6 in 1 all the time. I’ve tested them against the API master kit a few times and they are always very close if not the same results for me. If I get any reading that’s much out of the norm on the test strips I’ll do a API master test too using their exact instructions for conformation. This way works for me and I love the convenience of the test strips.  

Edited by Errk25
  • Like 1