Newbie Help

I have  two Monte Carlo’s that don’t  look so hot. I am using root tabs and ez green. I was using an old fluorescent light but recently upgraded because I don’t think I was getting enough light. Do you think that’s what it is or something else. I also have a red scarlet that basically melted away. That’s normal right and the roots should be fine?

9DF411D1-DA5D-4904-957B-D0C52F256D16.jpeg

0B093EEC-73CD-446C-8AFF-61E3A24AACA0.jpeg

ADF3B4AC-EC36-4BF3-B38B-EE268F791620.jpeg

Depending on how deep the tank is you might need to increase the light. Scarlet Temple and Monte Carlo aren’t the easiest plants to grow. They both like at least medium levels of light. I’d probably take the Monte Carlo out of the pots and plant it in the gravel with some root tabs. Don’t get discouraged if some plants don’t make it. I like to concentrate on the ones that do best in my conditions. 

I hope somebody can give you an answer that works well.

For what it's worth, I can give some encouraging perspective. I've tried about 13 species of plants, and only 6 have stayed healthy enough to grow. Of those 6, I only truly enjoy 4. But hey! I've got 4 species of plants I enjoy! If this doesn't work out, just keep trying 1 each of a wide variety. You will find enjoyment that's not hard to keep. 

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I hope somebody can give you an answer that works well.

For what it's worth, I can give some encouraging perspective. I've tried about 13 species of plants, and only 6 have stayed healthy enough to grow. Of those 6, I only truly enjoy 4. But hey! I've got 4 species of plants I enjoy! If this doesn't work out, just keep trying 1 each of a wide variety. You will find enjoyment that's not hard to keep. 

That’s horticulture in a nutshell! 

Edited by Patrick_G