Endler Temperature Range?

CalmedByFish

As far as you know, what's the lowest and highest temp that endlers can sustain before the temp diminishes their health?

Surely someone on this forum has tried them in a pond, unheated tank, sauna... 😜 What have you figured out?

(By the way, in case someone's interested: I found a reliable-looking source that says they drop a 50/50 m/f ratio of fry at 77 F. Cooler gets a higher ratio of female fry, and warmer gets a higher ratio of male fry.)

id try and keep them between 68&78. they will certainly stay alive in colder, but they get lethargic. for me, 72-74 is pretty optimal for endlers& guppy's. ive heard the temps affect m/f ratio of fry, but have never seen it myself, nor any scientific testing to back it up. imo thats a wives tale.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:57 PM, lefty o said:

ive heard the temps affect m/f ratio of fry, but have never seen it myself, nor any scientific testing to back it up. 

I found one regarding regular guppies, so that's close. The abstract includes this tidbit: "The proportion of females increased gradually with decreasing temperature and the proportion of males increased gradually with increasing temperatures..." So, maybe!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2005.01412.x?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+on+4+August+from+10%3A00-12%3A00+BST+(05%3A00-07%3A00+EDT)+for+essential+maintenance

I have 2 outdoor child splash ponds with black bar endlers here on the West coast of FL.  I lost hundreds last fall the 1st cold front, which was much colder than expected.   I think the air temp dipped to the upper 30's.  I dont know how low the water temp was.  A handful of juvenile females survived and I now have more than I can count again. 

Interestingly, the full-sized females and males died, the only survivors were juveniles. 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:07 AM, Littlefish said:

I lost hundreds last fall the 1st cold front, which was much colder than expected.   I think the air temp dipped to the upper 30's.  I dont know how low the water temp was.  A handful of juvenile females survived and I now have more than I can count again. 

Interestingly, the full-sized females and males died, the only survivors were juveniles. 

I'm sorry for your loss. That's awful. 

If the upper 30's isn't safe, that must mean the upper 40's isn't either. It's a helpful data point. 

Very interesting about the juveniles. I'll make sure to take a lot of juveniles when I (eventually) move.