Betta changing color? Fin rot?

Greenlikeafox

Hey everybody, 

So, I swear the black pigment on my Betta is ?speading?  Does that happen? Or is something wrong? Picture with less black is the day I brough Inigo home, the darker is today.

His top fin seems more ragged and he appears to have white dots only on his tail (but as he is white, its hard to tell if he has them elsewhere. 

16261236299378848115442687065009.jpg

20210624_195101.jpg

16 gallon Biorb (w/ filtration mod to biohome gravel and sponge filters). Planted. Temp 78, pH is high at 7.8 (will be doing immediate water change), 0 ammonia, 5ppm nitate, 0 nitrite. (Does the easy green liquid fertilizer change pH?)

1 betta, 1 golden Chinese algea eater (newest addition), 1 hillstream loach, 6 white cloud minnows, and 3 lemon tetras (who have calmed down after the addition of the minnows, school lost 2 while in quarantine last month upon purchasing)

Everyone seems to get along. No aggression from or towards the Betta (Lemons were an issue, still not sure if I'll keep them). Betta sometimes doesn't participate in feeding but never multiple times in a row.

I would watch your tetra and white clouds they could be nipping his fins when your not around Betta can colour as they age that what I think is happening to yours  Chinese algae eater  as they get bigger they can become bullys  and suck on the side of your fish it looks like the start of fin rot on the dorsal fin I would treat with maracyn 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Inigo is SO pretty! When I bought my betta he was stark white with yellow and blue spots on his fins, 2ish months later, his body is solid dark blue, with yellow and blue streaked fins -- no white left at all.  He looks essentially like a mustard gas betta.   Don't get me wrong, I still adore him, but I had not experienced a betta changing colors before.  Inigo could be really young and could continue darkening.  

I have also noticed my betta's fins getting a little more ragged, he started out in a community tank with lots of activity.  I've tried moving him to a less populated tank, and I think soon he will be going into his own tank  -- I think it will be easier to manage feeding him and water quality if he's on his own and his current tank has snails so salt isn't a treatment option.  Plus living with other fish could still be stressing him out even though I haven't seen any aggression (either from him or towards him).   

I would continue keeping an eye on him, doing plenty of water changes to keep the water really clean, and if no improvement or if it worsens, you could try treating with aquarium salt or erythromycin.  You might also try bumping the temp up to 80.  

This blog post might be helpful: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/fin-rot

Good luck!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love his name - Inigo is PERFECT - that dark upper lip looks just like a mustche! 

My betta, Spritz, has gotten some darker scales on both of his sides (just like Inigo), so I think @Colu is right about the coloring changing as a betta ages - it definitely happens!  @Maggie can attest too, I am sure! 😆👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Greenlikeafox said:

Mine was sold as a white/orange double rose tail. He's not a double tail, never had orange and is now 70% black/blue, 25 red, and 5 white but he's still gorgeous 

He is indeed! My HMPK is my profile pic - and what a handful! Currently trying to simultaneously make a bubble nest AND chase the new shoal of kuhlis in *his* tank. 🙄 But he is our boy!

• Love 1