Sponge filter wall vs substrate

Maximus297759

Hello just curious why seems like everyone use bottom sponge filter over a wall one.

Pros

bottom sponge filter

1. just drop in no suction cups.

2. there great hiding spot for anything 

3. idk I can’t remember accop sells for but it’s a sponge so 10$ I guess. 

cons 

1. every time I grab any of mine plastic top has 50% they disconnect from sponge

2. they take up space on substrate

3. Can accidentally lay on snails or other things if not carful

wall sponge filters

pros

1. Just grab sponge rinse put back. Without having mess with anything.

2. Takes up 0 space it’s out of the way.

3. 10$ cost 

4. idk why but the sponges not coarse like bottom tank ones. I like this polish water better. And maintenance is WAY easier pull wash. This is preference I’m sure but these so easy clean 30 secs and reinstalled.

cons 

3. Idk I wish everything on walls aquarium was magnetic 

1E8F716A-C0DF-4A46-9155-9B7D2ADBA9A7.jpeg

2460A194-F06A-4B9B-9C54-23CE633CF2BD.png

Edited by Maximus297759

In my experience, anything that attaches to a fish tank with suction cups has a limited lifespan. Suction cups tend to break down and fail over time. Gravity holds the ones that sit on the bottom in place and gravity never fails. The drop-in sponge filters are pretty much fool proof. There are very limited parts to them so there's less that can go wrong. The cheap ones sold on places like Amazon tend to use a finer foam and have a very closely toleranced bottom fitting piece that clogs easily, but a few quick snips with a nail cutter fixes that clogging issue. Use whatever works for you and you like best is my best advice. Matten filters are kind of the gold standard of sponge filters, but the drop in and suction cup ones work also. External sponges in a HOB or canister also work.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, sudofish said:

Never had an issue with my filter coming apart like that. I could grab mine by the green tube and it wouldn't disconnect. Maybe it's not seated all the way in?

It clicks apart that click will eventually just fall apart. I have no ideal how many clicks can take but all 3 of mine largest they sell same problem. I will never buy them again just very annoying to me. 

On 7/12/2021 at 8:16 AM, gardenman said:

In my experience, anything that attaches to a fish tank with suction cups has a limited lifespan. Suction cups tend to break down and fail over time. Gravity holds the ones that sit on the bottom in place and gravity never fails. The drop-in sponge filters are pretty much fool proof. There are very limited parts to them so there's less that can go wrong. The cheap ones sold on places like Amazon tend to use a finer foam and have a very closely toleranced bottom fitting piece that clogs easily, but a few quick snips with a nail cutter fixes that clogging issue. Use whatever works for you and you like best is my best advice. Matten filters are kind of the gold standard of sponge filters, but the drop in and suction cup ones work also. External sponges in a HOB or canister also work.

Yes if the where all magnetic that be awesome. That prob is the biggest draw back suction cups they have be replaced eventually. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:13 AM, Ron Uni said:

I'm just curious of how the set-up of the nano sponge filter is? Like does it have an air stone, I've seen other brands and no room for an air stone in it.

Just starting this hobby.

Thanks in advance.

@Ron UniThe ACO filters can be set up with just airline or can be used with an airstone.  The adjustable, never clog, Ziss airstone are worth getting.  They can be adjusted to get smaller bubbles for more water flow and less noise.  I have airstone in each of my ACO sponge filters, including 3 nanos.

@Maximus297759 I have several of the ACO sponge filters (18 total, from nano to large) and have never had one come apart when I just picked it up.  When snapped together correctly, they take at least a little effort to get apart.  Not like, makes me grunt or anything, but need to actually grip to pop apart.  I also have some of the suction cup, double, fine sponge, suction cup filters (6) and stopped buying them as soon as I started using the ACO sponge filters.

I have no scientific comparison in any way on how well they filter, but I just had to take apart and clean the dickens out of 4 of those double sponge filters and the ACO coarse sponge filters just don’t need that degree of maintenance in my tanks.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 2