Bacteria Hardiness

doppelganger

Random question... How hardy is bacteria? I'm trying to find a way of doing faster water changes. Normally I pump water in from a brute because I don't have a long enough hose and it's really slow. 

Can I just use my intake for my fx6 to pull water in as I have an extra intake valve? Would water temp and newly dechloronated water have any negative effect going straight through the filter first before into the tank? 

Perfectly fine, as long as the water has been treated already. I ran a convoluted set of fittings and valves on my desktop aquarium to use the canister filter to both drain and refill the tank at water change time. Why? Because I'm the kind of moron that builds a complete stand and canopy for a 5 gallon tank to sit on my computer desk, and it makes life really difficult when it comes time to change water lol. 

• Like 3

If you’re feeling it’s too slow refilling from your brute barrel, you need a bigger pump and hose.  Mine refills the tanks pretty quick.  Takes about 5 or so minutes to pump around 25 gallons.  Mine is a 32 gallon barrel that I don’t fill completely so I can still roll it around and I still have a gallon or so in the bottom after pumping everything it can.  I’m using a large powerhead I've had for around 20 years (not used for about 10 years).  I just bought, but haven’t yet tried, a replacement pump since I know it’s got to be on borrowed time.

630F0C3B-1AC3-439F-BD58-9C8679135937.jpeg

Bacteria are hard to kill, but temperature and other factors can affect their activity level. The evolutionary process is at work in your aquarium and your bacteria evolve over time to thrive in your environment. If you change too much, too soon, you can get in trouble. 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:36 AM, Odd Duck said:

If you’re feeling it’s too slow refilling from your brute barrel, you need a bigger pump and hose.  Mine refills the tanks pretty quick.  Takes about 5 or so minutes to pump around 25 gallons.  Mine is a 32 gallon barrel that I don’t fill completely so I can still roll it around and I still have a gallon or so in the bottom after pumping everything it can.  I’m using a large powerhead I've had for around 20 years (not used for about 10 years).  I just bought, but haven’t yet tried, a replacement pump since I know it’s got to be on borrowed time.

630F0C3B-1AC3-439F-BD58-9C8679135937.jpeg

Why you stealing my setup?!?  🤣  Gotta love those 50 gallon Brute garbage cans....You did get the wheels right....way over priced but a must have...LOL

@ARMYVET Wheels are a must have!  That’s the whole reason I get the brutes.  But I only have room for the 32’s.  The 50’s are just sooooo big!  I have to wrestle them over a carpet edge.  🙄  One of these days we’ll get all our floors redone with waterproof composite planks.  Easier rolling and cleanup of spills.  I’ve come to hate the carpet, for sure!

• Like 1