Plant Question

Hope it's not frowned on to keep asking questions here this is like my fifth or sixth topic this week!

Anyway so my question is, Java Ferns and Anubias can be glued to rocks - are there any other plants I can do that with? 

In my 20 gallon community I have aqua soil and all sorts of plants etc but when I set up my fish room I want to keep the tanks real simple and I like the idea of just using plants attached to rocks so I can easily move them to gravel vac underneath or rearrange the tank. 

It doesn't matter if they are slow growing etc as I won't need them for filtration, will use a pothos for that (plus sponge or canister filters). It's just for enrichment for the fishes and hiding spots etc. Want to avoid floating plants this time but the pothos resting on top of the lid will provide shade and cover. 

• Love 1

Hi, ask as many questions as you'd like! That's one of the main things forums like this are for! 🙂 As for the plants, pretty much any plant with a rhizome, or the horizontal stem that the leaves sprout off of vertically. Anubias and java fern have these, as well as plants from the Bucephalandra genus. Mosses can also be glued on as well.

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the nana petite version of anubias, it's really hardy, and the one species I haven't managed to completely kill. (I ordered some anubias nana, barteri, and nana petite) All of them died except one of the 2 nana petites I had gotten. This one didn't come in perfect, it was a bit low on how many leaves I would've liked, so I put in in an area where I was expecting it to stall in terms of growth, however after I killed the rest of mine this is still going strong, and putting out several new leaves! The species also looks really good as well!

A day after it was planted (about 6 months ago)

1792083218_ScreenShot2021-07-10at12_28_43PM.png.a142b4d577ed09c5fe710cab68eeba73.png

Today

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 12.33.18 PM.png

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

I like buce, but they can be pretty expensive. One reason I have generally avoided them.

One of my absolute favorite plants is African water fern (Bolbitis heudelotii).  It grows like an anubias, but provides a different texture in my tanks.  Like many of these types, it's a slow grower, but once it gets going, I think they're one of the best.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 5:53 PM, ARMYVET said:

Here is a link to explain the types of plants called "epiphytes" that are glued to a base....

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_aquatic-plants_epiphytes

I just about beat you to it, I googled one of the plants suggested above and found that exact page, I never knew what epiphytic meant until now! But yeah that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

On 7/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

I just about beat you to it, I googled one of the plants suggested above and found that exact page, I never knew what epiphytic meant until now! But yeah that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

My pleasure ....good luck to you!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 5:46 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

I love the nana petite version of anubias, it's really hardy, and the one species I haven't managed to completely kill. (I ordered some anubias nana, barteri, and nana petite) All of them died except one of the 2 nana petites I had gotten. This one didn't come in perfect, it was a bit low on how many leaves I would've liked, so I put in in an area where I was expecting it to stall in terms of growth, however after I killed the rest of mine this is still going strong, and putting out several new leaves! The species also looks really good as well!

A day after it was planted (about 6 months ago)

1792083218_ScreenShot2021-07-10at12_28_43PM.png.a142b4d577ed09c5fe710cab68eeba73.png

Today

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 12.33.18 PM.png

Nana petite is what I have in my community tank and it's doing better than anything else I have! Hoping for my next tanks that the nana and barteri versions are just as hardy and nice looking, don't really know the differences between them other than I assume they are bigger 

• Like 1