DebSills

So, I just added my first group of fish to my tank today - 8 ember tetras...they have been in the tank for a couple of hours and so far seem ok...they hung out in the rotala for a while but, seem to be swimming around a little more now (but, mostly all on one side of the tank). My biggest "fear" is that one of them is hiding on the substrate on the opposite side of the tank from the other 7...when exactly should I start to get concerned? I did turn the light off and am not planning on feeding until tomorrow...

I do have a quarantine tank if needed, but since these are the first fish I put them straight into the display tank...

Any thoughts/ideas/reassuring advise would be greatly appreciated...first tank I have set up in ~15 years

Thanks!

First off, welcome back to the hobby! I see your new to the forum, so welcome to the forum also!

I wouldn't worry quite yet. I always find when I introduce schooling tetras that theres always one who doesn't school with the others at the beginning. If it starts to eat tommorow, but still not schooling/ shoaling (loose schooling) I wouldn't be concerned. I would only be concerned if it doesn't eat.

• Like 2

Hello, and good luck with your new fish! 

Even though they’re the first fish in the tank and don’t show any signs of illness, I’d suggest maybe dosing them with a little bit of aquarium salt anyway just to kill off anything they might be carrying. I think the recommended dosage is 1 tablespoon for every 3 gallons, and then just leave the tank for a week before doing a water change? 

Edited by Bobbie

So big surprise...I worried for nothing...all of the embers ate dinner (even though one of them tried to hog all of it for himself) and they are exploring most of the tank now on and off...though they really like the rotala and seem to use that as their hiding place of choice so far (ordered some bacopa from co op today for the other side of the tank...so hopefully they'll like that too)

thanks everyone for bringing me down off the ledge 🙂