Beat green water with Green Killing Machine!

On 7/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Nice! 

There have been a couple other threads related to green water here lately. Did you figure out the original cause? I'm currently fighting green water. I reduce both light and fert, but then that seems to also reduce what the plants need. I'm struggling to find a balance.

Extra fertilizer doesn't cause algae. For green water, it's ammonia and too much light in combination.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 7/4/2021 at 1:11 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Nice! 

There have been a couple other threads related to green water here lately. Did you figure out the original cause? I'm currently fighting green water. I reduce both light and fert, but then that seems to also reduce what the plants need. I'm struggling to find a balance.

Reduce feeding or fast for a few days and cut the lights for 3 days. Plants should be fine. Eventually the plants will outcompete the algae. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, Sun.singh1991 said:

Reduce feeding or fast for a few days and cut the lights for 3 days. Plants should be fine. Eventually the plants will outcompete the algae. 

I just searched for this thread, and put the product you recommended in my Amazon cart. I have a few more natural tricks I want to try before I give up and buy it, but I'm sick of the unconquerable pea soup, and need the back-up plan.

Thank you for the recommendation. Maybe what I try will work, but having this as an option will give peace of mind while I waaait to find out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fastest solution is a diatom filter. They're not very common these days, but they'll really polish your water and leave it sparkling.  Marineland has a Magnum internal filter that lets you use a micron cartridbge and diatomaceous earth to polish your water. It's around $50 and can be used in other ways also. It's their ML90770-00 filter. You can find lots of before (green water) and after (clear water) photos at a major online retailer.