Quarantine Tank

Averus

I am setting up a quarantine tank for new  additions and am hoping for some advice.

Right now I have my sponge filter media hanging out in my hang-on filter to get seeded.  I figure this is the best way to get the tank cycled.  I will be first using it to quarantine some anubias for a few days, and then after they are done, will use it for fish if it is okay cycle-wise.

I will be adding some frogbit, since I have a ton in the main tank, and I figure it will help make the quarantine tank be a little more secluded.  I am also putting in some rocks as well some wood.

One I get the new fish in there, I am planing to use the Med-Trio.  However, I am worried this will destroy my biological filter because of the anti bacteria meds.  I am wondering what to do here, as if destroys the filter, how can I safely keep the new fish?  Any people have experience here?

Edited by Averus
changed gave to have and added wood ref
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:07 PM, Averus said:

I am setting up a quarantine tank for new  additions and am hoping for some advice.

Right now I have my sponge filter media hanging out in my hang-on filter to get seeded.  I figure this is the best way to get the tank cycled.  I will be first using it to quarantine some anubias for a few days, and then after they are done, will use it for fish if it is okay cycle-wise.

I will be adding some frogbit, since I have a ton in the main tank, and I figure it will help make the quarantine tank be a little more secluded.  I am putting in some rocks as well some rocks.

One I get the new fish in there, I am planing to use the Med-Trio.  However, I am worried this will destroy my biological filter because of the anti bacteria meds.  I am wondering what to do here, as if destroys the filter, how can I safely keep the new fish?  Any people gave experience here?

The more established a biological filtration colony you have, the less likely it is that the antibacterial meds from the med trio will knock it out. Having extra, primed sponge filters is a plus. I keep lots of sponge filters in every tank, so it is easy to move one in to the QT in case of emergency. Keep an eye on water parameters.

Well in my main tank, admittedly new, I have managed to keep the water parameters pristine with a small number of fish and some snails, something I fully admit is thanks to the plants.  I am hoping the frogbit will also help as a buffer, that stuff just sucks up the bad things like crazy from what I have seen.  Pretty much why I have excess frogbit now.

I am planing for the first fish to go in quarantine  will be a little group of tetras, so at least they will not overload the bacteria already being stressed by the meds.

There is another thing.  Once I get the fish through quarantine into the main tank, my quarantine tank may need to sit a little bit before I can bring in the next batch to be in observation, as I am going to be on vacation at the end of August.  While my main tank will be taken care of okay while I am away, I don't want to have any fish in the quarantine while I am gone.  I am planning to bring the next batch in around Labor Day.  Is there any good ideas to keep the quarantine tank up and running in between the time I move the first group of fish and then add the second ones? I can watch the quarantine tank for most of August, except when I am gone that one week.  Would breaking it down and reestablishing it when I get back be a better option?

I used my quarantine tank to grow out plants for a couple of months when I had no fish in it. It developed algae and I let the algae grow. When I needed the tank for some new fish, the plants and algae served as a filter to process ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. I still had to watch the water parameters closely, but they were OK. If ammonia or nitrite problems had developed I would have had to do water changes, but that did not happen. Of course, a seeded sponge filter is better, but it is difficult to always have one on hand.

• Like 1