Duck Weed?

Leo2o915

I use a small Lee's specimen container with water in it and a hair pick. The pick is same width as the specimen container, so I scoop up some duckweed from the tank and put it in the container. I check the container for hitchhikers and try to get any to let go in the container. Then, since the container and pick are the same width it is easy to scoop out the duckweed and dispose of it. I'm not sure if that would be any faster than a fork. I also use a cup and surface tension to scoop up stray duckweed. I have successfully removed duckweed completely from two tanks using those methods. Duckweed can be such a pain.

_DSC0313.JPG

• Thanks 1

On a sidenote, I have found harvesting duck weed then putting it in the blender with spirulina powder or repashy soylent green actually makes for a really good shrimp food. I get small ice trays, fill it up half way with the mixture, and freeze it.  Then i take it out as needed. 

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Thanks 1

Use a fine tooth comb and slowly run it across the surface of the water just under the leaves. They have such fine roots they get stuck in a comb to be easily removed. And if you want i would suggest getting a eheim surface skimmer to remove the last few stragglers.