DannyBWell

Both yellow labs and demasoni are african lake cichlids. Do you have a high enough pH, gH, and kH to support them?

If so disregard, here are my favorite tame african lake cichlids. Tropheops chilumba, Pseudotropheus perspicax, Labidochromis perlmutt. For a little change in pace synodontis catfish hold their own quite well

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Both yellow labs and demasoni are african lake cichlids. Do you have a high enough pH, gH, and kH to support them?

If so disregard, here are my favorite tame african lake cichlids. Tropheops chilumba, Pseudotropheus perspicax, Labidochromis perlmutt. For a little change in pace synodontis catfish hold their own quite well

I believe so my tap is 8.0 pH 300+ ppm GH and usually 10-12° KH if I'm remembering correctly. I believe this is suitable?

Edited by DannyBWell
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 3:40 PM, tonyjuliano said:

With the exception of the anubias and Java fern, those plants won’t stand a chance with African’s.i don't care about the crypts going in but I already have the jungle val can I put rocks at the base of the plant will that protect them?

On 6/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Just wanted to make sure ☺️ but yes those are fine parameters. I do enjoy the planted african cichlid tank over the bland moon like rock landscape. Even if the latter is more accurate to the actual biotope.

I believe pictures will be in order!

Yes I like the planted version as well and yes I'll have pictures but not sure how soon I can get them all my local fish stores don't usually have those cichlids either they sell fast or they don't carry them may have to see if they can order me some. Thanks!

If you want a challenge I also really enjoy the color and personality of Cynotilapia afra. I decided to omit them from my list due to their belligerent and highly territorial behavior. Along with their propensity to make "unwanted" changes to the scape. But they really are a centerpiece fish that will attract a lot of attention.

On 6/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, HH Morant said:

There is a guy on Youtube who keeps yellow labs in a tank with vallisneria. The video entitled "Yellow Lab Cichlid Care Guide, The Best Beginner African Cichlid" and is 5:54 long. It has some video of the tank with vallisneria. Even that guy points out that yellow labs and plants won't work out for everyone.

Will definetly check it out

On 6/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, tonyjuliano said:

Be aware…

Vallisnera SOMETIMES works, not due to the fact that the Africans will leave it alone (like the anubias and Java fern, for example), but because it grows back so quickly. 

If you notice, the Val in the video is pretty torn up.

I'm willing to try it jungle val is pretty cheap I got mine less than 2 weeks ago and it's already grown 5x bigger