Nerite Snail fungus?

DannyBWell

2 of my 3 nerites have been at the top of the tank for the last 2 days I moved them to clean the tank and when one was going back up to the top I noticed some white growths on its side. I've been battling with this tank to give the snails the correct water conditions because one of the snails has bad shell erosion I've tried putting eggshells in but not sure if it's working I've dosed equilibrium in the past and have wonder shells as well but my water is pretty hard so I don't use those often. My GH is usually around 200-300ppm KH between 40-120ppm oh is 7.8 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 40ppm nitrate everyone else in the tank is super happy my platys can't stop having babies and even my aenues corydoras are mating now so I'm quite frustrated at the trouble I'm having with these snails.

20210607_223437.jpg

I've never encountered snails getting like fungus but when it comes to their shells if they have shell erosion they will not repair it you can only stop the damage and feed them good food and what shell they grow will be good but the shell that's already grown we'll stay bad sadly, my personal advice, keep your water at, temp 80ish, pH 7.6ish, gh as high as you can keep it "use Wonder shells", kh above 40ish, 120-150 is better, A 0, Ni 0, NA 50 or less, and make sure they have algae preferably Green spot algae but algae wafers or rapashi foods and etc will all work nicely, so far that set up did not repair the damage that was done but they're perfectly happy for over a year now, granted they have a line in their shell from when they came into my care but all the shell they've grown since is nice

• Thanks 1

I haven't experienced fungus on my snails, but I did nurse a mystery snail back to health after an apparent poisoning incident (came that way from my local petsmart). When mystery snails (not sure about nerites but it could be similar) experience copper poisoning or a high toxin in their environment, their foot will curl and wrinkle and produce a cottony white discharge with black specks. It looks like cotton fungus, but it is in fact a discharge that is a sign of irritation. Clearing the water of whatever is poisoning them (copper, ammonia, nitrites, some other heavy metal) and time helps them to heal.

I gave my ill snail a space of its own to heal up, along with very clean water, and in a week it opened up into a very active and normal mystery snail with no sign of irritation.

If that's what your nerites are experiencing, it's pretty simple to clear up. I'd just use normal tap water, don't mess with hardness and kh because it looks like it's fine for your snails. Have you checked for copper?

EDIT to add: I don't know if there's anything wrong with this nerite snail in particular, though. The sides of their bodies often look like that, and the foot looks like it's nice and flat and functioning.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laritheloud said:

I haven't experienced fungus on my snails, but I did nurse a mystery snail back to health after an apparent poisoning incident (came that way from my local petsmart). When mystery snails (not sure about nerites but it could be similar) experience copper poisoning or a high toxin in their environment, their foot will curl and wrinkle and produce a cottony white discharge with black specks. It looks like cotton fungus, but it is in fact a discharge that is a sign of irritation. Clearing the water of whatever is poisoning them (copper, ammonia, nitrites, some other heavy metal) and time helps them to heal.

I gave my ill snail a space of its own to heal up, along with very clean water, and in a week it opened up into a very active and normal mystery snail with no sign of irritation.

If that's what your nerites are experiencing, it's pretty simple to clear up. I'd just use normal tap water, don't mess with hardness and kh because it looks like it's fine for your snails. Have you checked for copper?

EDIT to add: I don't know if there's anything wrong with this nerite snail in particular, though. The sides of their bodies often look like that, and the foot looks like it's nice and flat and functioning.

I haven't checked for copper the only thing I dose that would have copper is seachem excel and I believe it's invertebrate safe but I added better filter media last night so hopefully that will clear the water up better. There's only one at the top this morning so that's an improvement.

Edit I do add baking soda to raise my KH not sure if it's one of the plants that causes it or what but my KH is usually less than 40ppm sometimes almost 0 PPM so I add baking soda to raise it only tank that does it out of my 4 tanks could that be a culprit?

Edited by DannyBWell

40 minutes ago, Guppysnail said:

Not sure if this applies to aquatic snails but same physiology so I would assume it does

4A39C9F6-4AEA-41B9-B661-7B6858B7EAAA.png

That could be it I have the idea of getting a small 5g tank for just my snails and maybe some shrimp I don't see ending adding baking soda because I am worried about my pH buffer for my fish thanks for the info!