Ben C.

Hello all!

I've recently started hatching baby brine for my fish, using the Ziss hatchery. Fish love it, and I love making it - but I tend to have a lot of baby brine that hatch, but die. Is this normal? They quickly sink so it actually works well for my loaches and shrimp, but just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. My method:

- Fill a little below line, so there isn't splash

- Use Aquarium Co-Op Measuring Spoon™ to measure out two tablespoons of salt

- Room temp water and no heater, so around 74 degrees

- USB air pump, with the rigid tubing and diffuser included with the hatchery, reaches to the bottom

- collect after 24 hours

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, benchilton said:

Hello all!

I've recently started hatching baby brine for my fish, using the Ziss hatchery. Fish love it, and I love making it - but I tend to have a lot of baby brine that hatch, but die. Is this normal? They quickly sink so it actually works well for my loaches and shrimp, but just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. My method:

- USB air pump, with the rigid tubing and diffuser included with the hatchery, reaches to the bottom

- collect after 24 hours

Thanks in advance!

We don’t use the Ziss hatchery, but find that some shrimp stay up in the water column, while others fall down. Both wiggle. Fish find enough to.

I assume you’re not referring to egg shells / capsules? They tend to float, but some sink.

I dilute shrimp from hatchery into a 1/2 gal large specimen container of tank (cycled) water at between 24-48 hrs. 36 hrs. is when things seem best.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk Yeah, I remove the air for a few minutes and shine a light in a dark room at the bottom to separate the eggs and shrimp, which seems pretty effective so far. I am just using tap water though. Just seems like there's always a graveyard of bright orange at the bottom, lol. I guess it's not an issue as long as they all get eaten?

31 minutes ago, benchilton said:

@Fish Folk Yeah, I remove the air for a few minutes and shine a light in a dark room at the bottom to separate the eggs and shrimp, which seems pretty effective so far. I am just using tap water though. Just seems like there's always a graveyard of bright orange at the bottom, lol. I guess it's not an issue as long as they all get eaten?

Are they still moving? BBS settle, but should still visibly move.

22 hours ago, benchilton said:

Hello all!

- collect after 24 hours

Thanks in advance!

I've heard some people mention having to much bubbles can cause issues. Have you counted the bubbles per second? I seem to recall it being mentioned somewhere that they recommend 3 per second. Need just enough to keep the water circulating.

I personally don't hatch my brine shrimp that way so I don't have personal experience with this. Just throwing out an idea.

Also, how hard is the water you're using? Some people with soft water add a pinch of baking soda, or use marine salt with minerals to raise hardness. I personally have very hard water and still add a pinch of baking soda to be sure, with no negative effects.

Edited by JaredL
  • Like 1

I have the San Francisco Bay kit with a 2 liter but will be upgrading to the ziss in a few paychecks… I’d say double check and make sure that they’re moving, they’ll settle and not be as easily visibly moving. I too buffer with just a pinch of baking soda bc my water has very low Kh, but I use regular aquarium salt and chlorinated tap water. 

could you be using too many eggs? How much are you hatching at once?

• Like 1

@JaredL @Steph’s Fish and Plants thanks for the advice on the baking soda, I haven't heard that before! Fortunately my water out of the tap is rock hard - yay Texas water - but I might try that next time. I am using marine salt though. As for the bubbles, its...quite a bit at once, but I don't have a way of turning the USB air down. I'm hatching a small amount, maybe a quarter teaspoon. I have another batch running today, so I'm going to see once I add them to the water if they're still wiggling even when they settle.

Just now, benchilton said:

@JaredL @Steph’s Fish and Plants thanks for the advice on the baking soda, I haven't heard that before! Fortunately my water out of the tap is rock hard - yay Texas water - but I might try that next time. I am using marine salt though. As for the bubbles, its...quite a bit at once, but I don't have a way of turning the USB air down. I'm hatching a small amount, maybe a quarter teaspoon. I have another batch running today, so I'm going to see once I add them to the water if they're still wiggling even when they settle.

You can try getting a small valve and splicing it into the airline, that’s what I did, and it also helps me control the flow when I’m harvesting as well which is really nice. 

• Like 2