Curious about Cherry Shrimp

amataharimau

Hi all,

I've been thinking about some ideas for fish I could add to my 20 gallon tall planted tank. It has been running for almost a year, and has been pretty stable even with some poor maintenance over the winter. I currently only have 3 white cloud mountain minnows, as some died. However, since these three have been stable for a while now with no signs of sickness, I will soon be getting more to have the group be at least 6 or maybe even 9. Since I will be going to the fish store, I can't help but think of other species I could add as well.

I've never kept cherry shrimp, and was wondering how easy they are for beginners?

I have pH on the high end but relatively low gH, and I don't want to mess with water chemistry. I want to know if it's worth just getting a few and seeing if they do alright? Any advice from more seasoned experts?

My last thought would be to get a bristlenose pleco - I know that a 20 tall is definitely on the very small end for them, but don't know what people think is acceptable.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cherry shrimp are pretty hardy. As long as you keep up with your water changes, the shrimp should do just fine. The ph is usually what you want to keep your eye on though. If it gets too low, it might affect the shrimp but a high ph should be fine for them. A bristlenose pleco should do just fine in a 20 gallon tall. They do a great job to keeping algae away. I used a have a couple of them in a 20 gallon tall and they lived happily in that tank until I upgraded them. Overall, the bristlenose pleco should do fine and the shrimp should do good as well. 

Personally I have trouble with Neocaridina to the point where I’m not buying anymore at full retail. I have very soft water that’s slightly acidic and they don’t seem to like it. Two things have increased my survival rate. Buying from a local guy who raises them in tap water and buying some shrimp already pregnant and raising the fry myself. 

My cherry shrimp overpopulate! I bought a few from a local lfs they did awesome same water then got some from a very reputable online source all but a few kicked in 2 weeks due to molting issues they didn’t adjust at all.  Went back to local and all did great. They are fun and easy.

• Like 1